Postdoctoral Researcher, Continuing and Higher Education Management (we.b)
Center for Lifelong Learning (C3L) - Carl von Ossietzky University
As of October 2012, Dr. Svenja Bedenlier has been working as a research assistant at the Institute of Education (Working group: Educational Technology) at University of Oldenburg.
Svenja currently works in two research projects “ActiveLeaRn – Facilitating student engagement through educational technology in higher education” and “EduArc - Digital educational architectures: Open learning resources in distributed learning infrastructures”. With a background in educational science and gender studies, she graduated from the University of Oldenburg, having also studied at Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey for one year.
In her doctoral studies, Svenja researched the effects of internationalization processes in higher education and their influences on academic faculty members, relying on qualitative methods to investigate the experiences of Turkish and Colombian faculty members. Her research interests revolve around internationalization and digitalization processes in higher education, e.g. virtual mobility, online distance education as well as the application of systematic reviews as a research method. Svenja also gained experience in education management as an interim coordinator of UNILEAD, a blended learning training program targeted at mid-level higher education managers from emerging countries.
As an instructor and teaching assistant, Svenja has taught in face to face courses, as well as in blended and online learning settings.
- Bedenlier, S. (2018). ‘The Impact of my Work would be Greater here than there’: Implications of the International Mobility of Colombian Academics. Research in Comparative and International Education, 13(3), 378–396. doi: 10.1177/1745499918784681
- Bedenlier, S., Kondakci, Y., & Zawacki-Richter, O. (2018). Two Decades of Research Into the Internationalization of Higher Education: Major Themes in the Journal of Studies in International Education (1997-2016). Journal of Studies in International Education, 22(2), 108–135. doi: 10.1177/1028315317710093
- Bedenlier, S., & Zawacki-Richter, O. (2015). Internationalization of higher education and the impacts on academic faculty members. Research in Comparative and International Education, 10(2), 185–201. doi: 10.1177/1745499915571707
- Blaschke, L. M., & Bedenlier, S. (forthcoming,2020). Online Learning. In R. Papa (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Educational Administration. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Kondakci, Y., Bedenlier, S., & Aydin, C. H. (2018). Turkey. In A. Qayyum & O. Zawacki-Richter (Eds.), Open and Distance Education in Asia, Africa and the Middle East: National Perspectives in a Digital Age. (Vols. 1–2). Singapore: Springer.
- Kondakci, Y., Bedenlier, S., & Zawacki-Richter, O. (2018). Social network analysis of international student mobility: uncovering the rise of regional hubs. Higher Education, 75(3), 517–535. doi: 10.1007/s10734-017-0154-9