East Carolina University
Dr. Patricia J. Slagter van Tryon is an Associate Professor at East Carolina University, in the Department of Mathematics, Science, and Instructional Technology where she teaches 100% online graduate courses in the Master of Arts in Education and Master of Science in Instructional Technology programs. Patricia completed her doctoral work in Educational Technology with a concentration in Instructional Design and Development at Lehigh University, Bethlehem Pennsylvania, USA. Patricia is currently the Vice President of Communications for the Association of Educational Communications and Technology (AECT), Design & Development Division. Patricia also serves as an Associate Editor of the journal Distance Education. Her research interests and publications include social cognition and schema revision strategies through instructional e-mmediacy in online learning environments as well as research in instructional design and development in online learning environments.
- Slagter van Tryon, P.J., Hirumi, A., & McDonald, J. (2018) Preparing the next generation of instructional designers: a cross-institution faculty collaboration. Journal of Computing in Higher Education, 30(1), 125-153.
- Sugar, W. & Slagter van Tryon, P. J. (2014) Development of a virtual technology coach to support technology integration for K-12 educators, TechTrends
- Slagter van Tryon, P. J. & Bishop, M. J. (2012). Evaluating social connectedness online: The design and development of the social perceptions in learning contexts instrument, Distance Education, 33(3), 347-364.
- Slagter van Tryon, P. J. & Schwartz, C. S. (2012). A pre-service teacher training model with instructional technology graduate students as peer coaches to elementary pre-service teachers. TechTrends, 56(6), 31-36.
- Slagter van Tryon, P.J., & Bishop, M.J. (2009) Theoretical foundations for enhancing social connectedness in online learning environments. Distance Education, 30(3), 291-315. [Nominated in consideration for the ETR&D 2008 Young Scholar Award]