Prinsloo, Prof. Dr. Paul
Prinsloo, Prof. Dr. Paul
Career, Research Areas, and Projects
Paul Prinsloo is a Research Professor in Open and Distance Learning (ODL) in the College of Economic and Management Sciences, University of South Africa (Unisa). Since 2015 he is also a Visiting Professor at the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg, Germany. His academic background includes fields as diverse as theology, art history, business management, online learning, and religious studies. Paul is an internationally recognised speaker, scholar and researcher and has published numerous articles in the fields of teaching and learning, student success in distance education contexts, learning analytics, and curriculum development. His current research focuses on the collection, analysis and use of student data in learning analytics, graduate supervision and digital identity.
- Conrad, D., & Prinsloo, P. (2020). Ecologies of open: Inclusion, intersections, and interstices in education. Athabasca University Press. In press.
- Prinsloo, P., & Slade, S. (2019). Mapping responsible learning analytics: a critical proposal, in B.H. Khan, R. Corbeil, & M.E. Corbeil (Eds), Responsible analytics and data mining in education (pp. 63-80). London: Routledge
- Khalil, M., Prinsloo, P., & Slade, S. (2018). User Consent in MOOCs–Micro, Meso, and Macro Perspectives. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 19(5).
- Maritz, J., & Prinsloo, P. (2018). The (d)(t)oxic lifeworld of early career postgraduate supervisors. Teaching in Higher Education. DOI: 10.1080/13562517.2018.1498075
- Prinsloo, P. (2018). Online distance education in South Africa: past, practice and prognosis, in Olaf Zawacki-Richter and Adnan Qayyum (Eds), National systems in an era of global online distance education (pp. 67-82). Springer.
- Prinsloo, P., & Slade, S. (2018). Student consent in learning analytics: the devil in the details? In J. Lester, C. Klein, H. Rangwala, and A. Johri (Eds), Learning analytics in higher education: Current innovations, future potential, and practical applications (pp. 118-139). London, UK: Routledge
- Prinsloo, P. (2018). What I heard and what I did not hear: Reflections on the World Conference on Online Learning, Toronto, 2017 (Junhong Xiao trans.). Distance Education in China, 2: 5-11. 10.13541/j.cnki.chinade.20180125.002.
- Prinsloo, P. (2018). Include us all! Directions for the adoption of learning analytics in the Global South: An African perspective. Digital Learning for Development (DL4D). Available at: dl4d.org/portfolio-items/learning-analytics-for-the-global-south/ .
- Archer, L., & Prinsloo, P. (2017). Some exploratory thoughts on Openness and an ethics of care. In D. Singh (Ed.). Responsible leadership: Higher education (pp. 273-286). New York, NY: Globalethics.net.
- Prinsloo, P., & Slade, S. (2017). Big data, higher education and learning analytics: Beyond Justice, toward an ethics of care, in Ben Daniel (Ed.), Big Data and Learning Analytics: Current Theory and Practice in Higher Education, Springer (pp. 109-124). Switzerland: Springer International Publishing
- Prinsloo, P., & Slade, S. (2017). Ethics and learning analytics: charting the (un)charted. In G. Siemens & C. Lang, (Eds), Learning Analytics Handbook. (pp. 49-57). SOLAR.