Jethro Betcke Drs.
Energy and Semiconductor Research Laboratory
Institute of Physics - University of Oldenburg
D-26111 Oldenburg, Germany
Tel: +49 441 - 798 3927
Fax: +49 441 - 798 3326
| || |
The principle objective of HELIOSAT-3 is to support the solar energy community in its efforts for increasing the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of solar energy systems and improving the acceptability of renewables.
A successful integration of solar energy into the existing energy structure highly depends on a detailed knowledge of the solar resource. HELIOSAT-3 will supply high-quality solar radiation data gained from the exploitation of existing Earth observation technologies and will take advantage of the enhanced capabilities of the new Meteosat-8 (former Meteosat Second Generation) satellites. The expected quality represents a substantial improvement with respect to the available methods and will better match the needs of companies and other customers of the resulting products.
- Title: Energy-Specific Solar Radiation Data from Meteosat-8: The Heliosat-3 Project
- Duration: 6/2001 - 5/2004
- Aim is the development and application of advanced solar irradiance calculation schemes based on Meteosat-8 data.
The consortium combines expertise from both Earth observation and solar energy research in order to exploit synergies between these fields and to realise a new approach for solar resource management.
- University of Oldenburg, Institute of Physics, Energy and Semiconductor Research Laboratory (EHF)
- Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Paris - Centre Télédétection & Modélisation (ENSMP - T&M) / Ecole des Mines de Paris
- German Remote Sensing Data Center (DFD) of the German Aerospace Center (DLR) in cooperation with the DLR Institutes of Atmospheric Physics (IPA) and of Technical Thermodynamics (ITT)
- Universitetet i Bergen, Geofysisk Institutt (UiB) / University of Bergen, Geophysical Institute
- Université de Genève, Centre Universitaire d'Étude des Problèmes de l'Énergie (CUEPE)
- Fraunhofer-Institut für Solare Energiesysteme (FhG-ISE), Freiburg / Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems
- Ecole Nationale des Travaux Publics de l'Etat (ENTPE), Centre Nationale de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS), Département Génie Civil et Bâtiment (DGCB)
- Instituto Tecnológico de Canarias, S.A. (ITC)
- Association pour la Recherche et le Développement des Méthodes et Processus Industriels (ARMINES)
The project is funded by the European Commission under contract No. ENK5-CT-2000-00332.