- Chemical oceanography and marine organic geochemistry
- Molecular signals of dissolved organic matter and its connection to microbial community composition
- Microbially derived biomarkers (archaea and bacteria)
List of own projects:
- The leakage of organic matter into the oceanic water column. Project funded by Schlumberger oil service, USA. Finished in 2013.
- The Chilean Patagonia: A natural laboratory for studying the role of dissolved organic matter in sub-polar ecosystems in a changing climate. Project funded by Deutsche Forschungsgesellschaft (DFG) for initiation of bilateral research cooperation between Germany and Chile. Finished in 2012.
List of external projects (collaborative work):
- Project ABYSS - Assessment of bacterial life and matter cycling in deep-sea surface sediments (ERC grant 294757 to Prof. Dr. Antje Boetius). Finished in 2017. (https://www.awi.de/forschung/biowissenschaften/tiefsee-oekologie-und-technologie/wissenschaft/mikrobielle-gemeinschaften/abyss.html)
- Assessing the impact of solar radiation on microbial communities in a stratified Patagonian fjord: Reviewing the role of photoinhibition in the carbon cycle. Project funded to Dr. Claudia Hernández Róndon by National Commission for Science and Technological Research (CONICYT), Chile. Finished 2013
- Once upon a time. Project funded by the Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (BMBF) and Wissenschaft im dialog (VID), Germany. A project to communicate science to adults in contact with children in different languages. (www.marum.de/Entdecken/Es-war-einmal/Projekt.html). Finished 2017.