Information for employees

Please be sure to take note of the General Rules of Conduct first, which apply to everyone! This page contains additional information specifically for staff.

General Information

What general principles apply to administrative and technical work?

Taking into account the functions to be performed, administrative and technical work is largely carried out on site. Depending on the pandemic situation, staff may continue to participate in mobile work and telework in order to minimize the use of offices featuring multiple workstations. The following principle applies: as long as there are no compelling work-related reasons to the contrary, employees who want to avoid sharing office space should generally be approved for mobile work or telework under the provisions currently in force. Conversely, no employee should have to participate in mobile work against his or her will.

Mobile work and telework

Which regulation applies here?

The “Employment Agreement on Mobile Work During the Coronavirus Crisis”, mutually agreed upon by the Presidential Board and the Staff Council at short notice in the spring of 2020, expired on 31 March 2022. Since then, mobile work and telework have been governed by the "Agreement Pursuant to § 81 NPersVG on Telework and Mobile Work in the Lower Saxony State Administration", which came into force for Lower Saxony’s state administrative bodies, and thus for universities, as far back as 1 July 2021.

Following agreement between the Presidential Board and the Staff Council, this legal framework has applied directly to all civil servants and salaried staff employed at the University of Oldenburg and represented by the Staff Council since 1 April 2022. The agreement forms the legal basis for participating in mobile work. For alternating telework, the employment agreement of 1 January 2006 must be observed.

Do I have to participate in mobile or alternating telework?

Participation in both mobile work and telework is voluntary. However, until the pandemic actually comes to an end, special regulations under infection control law, such as the homeoffice requirement, may again take effect, making it necessary for staff to work from home to the greatest extent possible.

You can find further information on the administration portal’s website:

Events and rooms

Studying and teaching

Given adherence to a hygiene concept, in-person activities related to studying and teaching may take place on campus. This applies to practical laboratory courses as well as practical  courses in subjects such as sports, music, languages or medicine. It also applies specifically to seminars, colloquia and tutorials. (Major) lectures and examinations may also take place in person. The required rooms will be made available at full capacity.

What rules apply to committee meetings, staff meetings and other official events?

The above-mentioned meetings and other gatherings may take place inside university buildings, rooms and on university premises. When planning and organising events, the applicable federal and state regulations as well as any university regulations (e.g. the mask mandate) must be taken into account and complied with throughout.

Communal areas

In communal areas, social distancing requirements must be observed at all times.

If possible, breaks should be taken outdoors. Indoor spaces must be ventilated (in accordance with the hygiene concept).

Tea kitchens

Social distancing requirements must be observed in tea kitchens. Small or cramped kitchens should only be entered alone.

As a rule, a medical mask is to be worn in tea kitchens, as unexpected contacts can occur when entering or leaving the room.


Important information on data protection

In order to reduce the risk of infection, the coronavirus measures in effect at the university require that data on employees/instructors be processed during summer semester. You can find the relevant data protection information according to Section 13 of the General Data Protection Regulation (DSGVO) here:

Data protection notices regarding coronavirus measures (in German)

Will the university continue to issue self-tests to university employees?

Self-tests will continue to be made available for employees. Further details can be found here:

SARS Cov-2 antigen self-tests

Are pregnant and breastfeeding individuals permitted to enter the university?

Pregnant and breastfeeding women (employees and students) are particularly vulnerable.

The Maternity Protection Act, which mandates processes that include the preparation and evaluation of risk assessments as well as the determination of protective measures, continues to apply to this group of individuals.

Pregnant and nursing women may only (or continue to) be employed if a current risk assessment has been prepared and the requisite measures have been implemented.

Should the work situation change (e.g. returning to the university workplace, completing an off-campus internship, e.g. in a hospital, doctor’s office, social institution or business), a new risk assessment must be prepared and submitted to the responsible offices.

A potential risk of contracting SARS-CoV-2 must be taken into account. Please note that this review process must be complete before any changes to the work situation may take effect.

Section 11, para. 5, no. 7 of the Maternity Protection Act stipulates that an employer may not allow a pregnant woman to perform any activities that require protective equipment (such as an FFP mask) that may place a burden on the individual.

Parental leave during closure of kindergartens and schools

What options do I have if I need some time off?

In principle, different regulations apply to those with statutory insurance, private insurance and civil servants.

a) Persons covered by statutory insurance

    a. Children's sick days according to § 45 SGB V
    b. Time off work according to § 29 Section 3TV-L
    c. Claim for compensation according to § 56 IfSG

b) Privately insured persons

    a. Work release according to § 29 Section 3TV-L
    b. Entitlement to compensation according to § 56 IfSG

c) Civil servants

    a. Special leave according to § 9 No. 8 Nds. SUrlVO
    b. Special leave according to § 9 a Section 2a Nds. SUrlVO
    c. Special leave according to § 11 Section 2 Nds. SUrlVO    

What are the rules for children's sick days according to § 45 SGB V?

Parents may take designated sick days for children who have not yet reached the age of 12,

a) if they care for their sick child at home, or
b) if childcare is not available (applies only in 2021).

In 2021, 20 days are now available for this purpose instead of the previous 10 days per child.

Children's sick pay is generally 90 percent of the net pay lost. An application must be filed with the respective health insurance provider.

Parents who (could) work from home but need to care for a sick child instead also have the option of applying for children's sick pay.


  1. An application for time off work (employees subject to collective bargaining) - point 2.2 must be submitted.
  2. You apply for children's sick pay directly with your health insurance provider in the second step.

What are the rules for time off work according to § 29 TV-L?

In principle, the employer can grant leave from work in urgent cases with continued payment of remuneration. This possibility is limited to three working days.

Corona-related closures of schools and daycare centers may be considered urgent cases.


  1. A request for time off from work (employees subject to collective bargaining) - item 1.3 must be submitted.
  2. Your salary will continue to be paid in full by the university.

What are the rules for compensation claims according to § 56 IfSG?

If children's sick days have already been exhausted or if this entitlement does not exist at all - in the case of non-statutorily insured persons - a claim for compensation according to § 56 IfSG may be possible.

The claim for compensation covers 67 percent of the lost earnings, up to a maximum of 2,016 Euros per month, for a period of up to 10 weeks per parent or 20 weeks for single parents.

Prerequisites are:

  1. Closure of a facility
  2. Child has not yet completed 12 years of age
  3. Loss of earnings


  1. A request must be made for time off work (employees subject to collective bargaining) - item 2.2.
  2. The salary will continue to be paid by the university at a reduced rate.

Special leave for civil servants

What are the rules for § 9 No. 8 Nds. SUrlVO?

Special leave with continued payment of salary in urgent cases of up to three working days.

The corona-related closure of schools and daycare centers may be considered an urgent case.

What are rules for § 9 Section 2a Nds. SUrlVO?

The following regulation applies during the year 2021:

Special leave with continued payment shall be granted in the event of serious illness of a child or the corona-related closure of childcare facilities and schools, if the child has not yet reached the age of twelve, or is disabled and dependent on assistance and no other caregiver is available.

As a rule, leave can be granted for up to 10 working days per child - limited to a total of 20 working days if there are three or more children - per year.

Single-parent civil servants may be granted special leave for a total of up to 30 working days per year if they have more than one child.

What are the rules for Section 11, Paragraph 2 of the Nds. SUrlVO?

For extraordinary situations, civil service law offers further possibilities, which may compete with other entitlements. Please seek individual advice if necessary.