Establishing new cooperations
Regional coordination Europe
Regional coordination Africa, Asia, Australia, Middle East, Russia and Central Asia
Regional coordination North and Latin America
Inter-institutional Agreement (Erasmus+ 2021) IIA, Inter-Institutional Agreement
At the University of Oldenburg, establishing international cooperation agreements follows the bottom-up approach. It is based on a request made by one or several campus institutions to specifically develop agreements with partner institutions already known to them. In most instances, cooperation agreements exist between foreign and domestic faculties and institutes/academic disciplines.
The Presidential Board and the International Office are in charge of drawing up an agreement, but work closely with the schools and institutes involved. The International Office provides consulting services and gives you advice on agreement types, formalities, and funding opportunities. The final cooperation agreement is signed by the President and, as the case may be, by the Dean of the school and/or Head of the institute.
- Give information on current and prospective activities and agree upon content and conditions (especially in case of student mobility),
- prepare a draft agreement based on either the draft contract provided by the International Office or on a proposal made by the partner institution abroad,
- present the cooperation agreement to your fellow faculty members and/or institute for approval.
If the draft contract provided is not used by the parties involved, an additional legal examination and approval by the University's Legal Affairs Office will be required. If the agreement contains issues concerning research and science cooperation, the University's Research and Transfer Unit has to be involved. The International Office will submit the final draft to the President for signature.
The cooperation agreement may be written in two languages upon which all parties have to agree, though it is common practice these days to write an agreement in English.
If the cooperation agreement involves all campus institutions, i.e. is made between universities, the following details and formulations are mandatory:
- the University of Oldenburg shall not incur any financial obligations whatsoever.
- The agreement period shall be limited to a maximum of five years.
- A renewal of the agreement shall be made upon informal application, giving reason as to why the agreement should be renewed and showing past achievements both in words and numbers.
- A contact person at the school or institute concerned shall be named.