Welcome Service, International Office

For students

Katja Kaboth-Larsen

Boris Pohl

Christine Trappe

For doctoral candidates and researchers

Linda Book

Christiane Rochner

Help and advice for Internationals in times of COVID-19

The applicable rules change frequently at the moment. Please also inform yourself independently about current innovations. We assume no liability for the information provided here. 
In Germany, vaccination is not compulsory.

1. Current situation at the University of Oldenburg

2. Situation in Oldenburg and Germany

What is the current situation in Oldenburg?

I am overwhelmed by all the information on Corona - who can help me?

You can reach the central Corona hotline of the Lower Saxony state government by calling 0511 120 - 6000 from Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (except on public holidays).

Mask obligation

For visitors to care facilities and hospitals as well as patients in doctors' surgeries and medical or therapeutic facilities, FFP2 masks are mandatory until probably 07.04.2023.
Individual establishments may invoke their domiciliary rights and also prescribe the wearing of masks.

Where can I take a Covid test? How often?

Some pharmacies and doctors' practices in Oldenburg offer covid tests.

Here you can find a search function for pharmacies that offer tests.

Here you can find an overview of medical practices that offer Coronatests.

Self-tests are available over-the-counter in drugstores and supermarkets.

What are the current rules in Lower Saxony? (Charts in German)

COVID-19 vaccinations

Anyone who has been vaccinated with a vaccine that is not licensed in Germany or who has not yet been vaccinated against Covid 19 at all can be vaccinated by a registered doctor.

3. What to do in case of a (suspected) COVID-19 infection

Do you have acute severe symptoms (shortness of breath, chest pain, loss of consciousness)?

If you suffer from severe acute symptoms such as severe shortness of breath, acute chest pain or (temporary) loss of consciousness, please call for medical help immediately (emergency call 112)!

If a person is infected with COVID-19 and shows severe symptoms of illness, they will be admitted to a suitable hospital. They will receive treatment according to their symptoms.

4. Social support

The infection control measures in the COVID-19 crisis present us all with new social challenges. The university and the Studentenwerk provide various support services to help cope with this better.

Events for internationals

Psychological counselling during the Corona Crisis

As international student in pandemic Germany you may have been experiencing a lot of intense and challenging emotions over the past weeks. Being physically distant from loved ones too far away to visit when wanting to be close to them is already difficult during normal times. However, travel restrictions, massive economic turmoil and the threat of a potentially harmful virus make going abroad even more difficult than before. The Psychological Counselling Service is aware of the issues faced by international university staff and their families during these difficult times and offers support in maintaining mental health.

Psychological Counselling Service

Just to give you an idea of typical concerns raised in counselling sessions, please see below a list of issues, we are prepared to support you with (amongst all other mental health concerns that may not be directly related to the COVID-19 pandemic, of course!)

  • The fear of losing my financial security is distracting me from my studies. What can I do?
  • My parents have pre-existing conditions and are at an age that makes them vulnerable to experiencing serious health problems should they contract the virus. I am afraid they could get seriously ill and wonder how I could persuade them to protect themselves.
  • Since face-to-face teaching has been suspended and I cannot meet with fellow students for discussing materials and assignments, I have great difficulty concentrating on lectures and home works. How can I get back my focus?
  • Two times a week I went to the gym. On weekends I liked to party. Those outlets have become impossible to pursue. I am worried, if this lasted much longer, I will feel increasingly isolated and relapse into depression. How can I prevent this from happening?

If you wish to talk to a counselor about these or any other mental health-related concerns, please do not hesitate to send an email to the Psychological Counseling Service Team at ! They will be happy to invite you to a phone or videotelephony consultation at your earliest convenience.

Preparing your stay in Oldenburg

If you have any questions and need advice, please contact

General information for preparing your trip here (international students)

General information for preparing your trip here (doctoral candidates and researchers)

(Changed: 13 Mar 2023)  |