International Office

Funding programmes for researcher mobility

Along with international cooperation agreements and projects, the exchange and mobility of international and local scientists, researchers, and academic teaching staff is a key element of internationalisation at the University of Oldenburg. 

The International Office and the Research and Technology Transfer Unit cooperate closely to provide effective support services for local researchers and teachers, giving information on all aspects of preparing a stay abroad or planning an international project, as well as on funding opportunities.

Funding programmes of the University of Oldenburg

If you would like to work at a research facility or teach at an institution of higher education abroad, establish further international relations or projects with overseas partners, or employ research and academic staff from other countries at the University for a certain period of time, please check the following institutions and programmes offering support and funding.  

The university provides the following internal funding programmes:

DAAD funding programmes

The International Office provides information on all academic exchange support programmes offered by the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service). A database of scholarships available online. Please note that scholarships are granted to academic staff from German institutions of higher education. The database is only available in German.

Funding programmes of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation

  • Feodor Lynen Research Fellowships allow long-term research stays worldwide for post-doctoral researchers (6 to 24 months) and for experienced researchers (6 to 18 months) from Germany and of all disciplines. As a post-doctoral researcher, you may submit an application if you completed your doctorate in the last four years. As an experienced researcher, you may submit an application if you completed your doctorate less than twelve years ago.
  • The Feodor Lynen programme of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation also includes up to 20 fellowships granted annually by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS). It provides support for German post-doctoral researchers from all disciplines to do research in Japan (1 - 12 months or 12 - 24 months).
  • The MOST Taiwan Research Fellowships of the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan (formerly National Science Council) allow research projects at research institutions in Taiwan of 3 to 12 months. Up to 2 fellowships are granted annually.

Preparing your stay abroad

The online portal of EURAXESS provides information and assistance to mobile researchers on all matters concerning mobility and work-related purposes in the respective foreign country such as visa application, work permit, child care, school education, or health care. An online database for scholarships and job opportunities is also available. Moreover, the portal provides a list of national information centres and of national advisory services.

Germany's Foreign Ministry provides useful information on individual countries, including immigration regulation and entry requirements, travel and security advices, and travel warnings and security notices (in German)

IO-Webmasq0g4zter ( (Changed: 2020-06-15)