Advice on going abroad during "emergency operations"

For the time of the university's "emergency operations" due to the Corona crisis, you are welcome to meet us online in virtual meeting rooms:

In addition, you are welcome to contact us by e-mail. If you would like to call us, please send a German telephone number and we will call you back.


PROMOS/Fernweh (studies and internships), Fulbright

Ann-Kristin Schuling


  • Guideline Fernweh grant Please note: This is an unofficial translation provided for your convenience only and does not have any legally binding effects. Only the German version is legally binding.

The International Office awards grants for studying abroad at a Non-European university. The grant amounts to a maximum of EUR 2,000.

Calls for applications are open twice a year (September/October and March/April). Applications are only accepted during the application period. The next call will be from 16 March until 30 April 2020.

Other conditions apply to the funding of internships abroad, applications are possible on an ongoing basis.

Who can apply?

  • All students (bachelor's and master's degree students) of the University of Oldenburg may apply who are planning to study abroad at a Non-European partner university of the University of Oldenburg. Minimum time spent abroad: one semester.
  • Not eligible for applying: doctoral candidates, students who have won a DAAD scholarship and students who have already received funding from another institution, students whose stay abroad has already begun.


The Fernweh Grant is not compatible with the Mobility Grant, as these scholarships are both financed from the same fund.

The Fernweh Grant is not compatible with the Deutschlandstipendium, because it can only be awarded to students who do not already receive funding from third-party organisations (for example DAAD, Fulbright, Erasmus).

PROMOS Scholarship

You are welcome to apply for both programmes. However, you may only be awarded one scholarship/grant due to fair competition regulations.

International BAföG

You can apply for the Fernweh grant if you receive International BAföG or BAföG. If you state this on the application, it will be considered automatically if a scholarship is awarded. You may receive a maximum scholarship sum of EUR 300 per month (Section 21.3.6 BAföG states that performance-based scholarships up to a monthly average of EUR 300 are exempt from inclusion).


Funding is available for up to EUR 2,000 and is intended to cover costs that are related to studying abroad (e.g. travel costs, costs for accommodation, books, study material, tuition, excursions). Students who receive BAföG will be paid a maximum amount of EUR 300 per month. 


Step 1: Please complete the online application (please fill in only once, even if you apply for PROMOS and Fernweh at the same time).
Step 2: Please submit hard copies of all necessary documents (2-9) to the International Office (IO), attn Ms Ann-Kristin Schuling. Applications sent by email will not be accepted.

  1. Online Application
  2. Application Form
  3. Letter of Motivation (in German or English, max. 2 pages)
  4. CV (German or English)
  5. Proof of Voluntary Work (brief confirmation is sufficient) 
  6. Current Transcript of Records ("Notenbescheinigung," download in Stud.IP) 
  7. Certificate of Enrolment (for the current term)
  8. Letter of Acceptance from host institution: studies, final thesis, language course, or degree-related course (only if your stay is independent of a programme by the International Office)
  9. Language Certificate (only if your stay is independent of an IO programme; not necessary for language courses)

Letters of recommendation are not requested. Exemption: Doctoral candidates must submit a letter of recommendation from their supervisore when applying for a short course.

The letter of motivation is intended to show your reasons for going abroad and what you plan to do at the host institution. Please explain why your stay abroad is beneficial to your academic and (maybe also) your professional career and demonstrate if you will get credit in Oldenburg for the courses you will be attending abroad. Let us know if you are seeking an intercultural experience abroad.

The scholarships will be awarded by a committee in consultation with all schools. The following criteria will be considered: academic performance (30%), voluntary work (20%), motivation (50%).

The decision of the committee is final. There is no right of appeal.


What does voluntary work mean?

Voluntary work is unpaid work in associations, organisations or public offices (e.g. supervising children on trips, involvement in community, church, sports activities). If you are currently not volunteering, you may include proofs of voluntary work you have done in the past.

I have applied for a Fernweh Grant but was not considered in the first application period. Can I apply again within the second application period?

Yes. However, we recommend that you speak to the International Office first.

When will I get notice if I have been awarded a grant?

Usually you will be notified approximately 4–6 weeks after the committee session at the end of the application period.

I have been awarded a Fernweh Grant. Do I need to do anything else?

As a grant holder you are obliged to promote the university in the host country and at the host university. For this purpose, you will receive a marketing package including information material. Also you will be asked to submit a report of your experiences after your stay abroad, which may (if permitted) be shared with other students to motivate as many students as possible to study abroad.

IO-We2g16bmaswybl1tereh ( (Changed: 2020-07-01)