Advisor for international PhD students and scientists

Inger Zychla

+49 (0)441 798-2156

A12 3-320

Service for international scientists

Christiane Rochner

+49 (0)441 798-4594

A12 3-304



Are you a visiting scientist at Oldenburg University? Then register here.


There are certain labour regulations that should be noted when coming to Oldenburg for a research stay or for teaching purposes.

Employment Regulations

Depending on the purpose of your stay at Oldenburg University (research or employment) and on your citizenship, regulations concerning the pursuit of employment may differ. Further information can be found here.

Employment contract

If you come to Oldenburg not as a scholarship/fellowship holder but as an employee, you must sign your employment contract prior to starting work. Oldenburg University's Division 1: Personnel and Organisation will inform you about the forms and documents you need to complete and submit.

In Germany, many professors are civil servants (Beamte) and appointed to their positions (in German: Berufung). Salaries for civil servants are stipulated in the Federal Civil Servants' Remuneration Act (Bundesbesoldungsgesetz) and by regulations issued by the federal state in which you work. The pay regulation "W" (Wissenschaft) applies to professors, whereas academic and administrative staff are paid according to the "TV-L", the collective bargaining agreement for the public service of the federal states (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst der Länder). The collective bargaining agreement inlcudes several pay groups (Entgeltgruppen) and pay grades (Entgeltstufen) that are based on the level of education and professional qualifications required for the respective position and job, as well as on the years of employment in that position.

Division 1: Personnel and Organisation

Information on the collective bargaining agreement for the public service of the federal states (TV-L) and on the pay groups and pay grades can be found at:

Intellectual property

You should ask your host institution or employer as early as possible about all aspects regarding the handling of intellectual property, patents and inventions. The Employee Inventions Law (Arbeitnehmererfindungsgesetz) has changed significantly since 2002, and requires members of higher education institutions to report their inventions to their employers.

Almost all universities and research institutions have an office that is responsible for research and technology transfer. At Oldenburg University, the Research and Technology Transfer Unit will give you advice on how to handle intellectual property and on how to register patents and licences.

The Research and Technology Transfer Unit

ISO-Webgseghmaa8st7jber6da ( (Changed: 2019-11-13)