Advisor for international doctoral candidates and researchers

Inger Zychla

+49 (0)441 798-2156

A12 3-320

Service for international researchers

Christiane Rochner

+49 (0)441 798-4594

A12 3-304

If you would like to call us, please send a German telephone number to weeo3dilcg3g3iome@uebl9uolmcwf.d4fe and we will call you back.

At the moment, the SSC – Student Service Centre (A12) is closed to the public. Please send original documents by post or use the post box in building V01 (Poststelle), Ammerländer Heerstraße 118.

Our team of tutors for international doctoral candidates offers help and support with all general questions and about life in Oldenburg. The tutor team can be reached at; (



Employment in Germany:

Foreign Residents' Office


Studying and Working in Germany - access to the German labour market:

Federal Foreign Office

'EU Blue Card' - a residence title for foreign professionals to work and live in Germany.

Information on work permits:

Federal Employment Agency

Employment in another country of the Euopean Union:

European Commission

A residence permit for the purpose of research or employment may be required, depending on the purpose of your stay.

A stay for the purpose of employment

A research stay in Germany that is based on a regular employment contract may differ in terms and conditions, depending on your home country:

EU Citizens, EEA Citizens, Swiss Citizens

EU citizens and EEA citizens do not need a residence permit as the freedom of movement for workers applies to you. Swiss citizens, however, need to apply for a residence permit as certification of that freedom.

Citizens of third states

All other foreign nationals who are seeking employment or will be doing research in Germany need a residence title that allows employment or research (a D visa/national visa or a residence permit). A residence title may be granted as a visa, temporary residence permit, EU Blue Card, permanent settlement permit, or EU permanent residence permit. An application for a residence permit has to be submitted to the Foreign Residents' Office (Ausländerbüro) in Oldenburg. Visa applications must be submitted to the German Embassy in the home country/current country of residence prior to arrival in Germany.


A research stay at an approved research institution in Germany may allow you to obtain a residence permit for research purposes. A signed hosting agreement between the hosting institution and you, the researcher, is required.

Scholarship and fellowship

Scholarship/fellowship holders doing research at Oldenburg University will need a residence permit for the purpose of research.

Staff mobility

International researchers from a research institution in an EU Member State who are posted at Oldenburg University are issued residence permits not for the purpose of research, but for the purpose of employment.

IO-W9+u57ebmastert2/8k (marketinglba.ioihvg4@uol.de0k) (Changed: 2020-07-16)