Getting ready for your stay
Advisor for international doctoral candidates and researchers
Service for international researchers
Getting ready for your stay
Are you planning a stay at the University of Oldenburg for research or teaching purposes? The International Office will be happy to assist you in finding a host institution and/or a university contact person, and will pass on any questions or requests to the respective institute if needed.
Getting in touch with one of the academic staff members of our University as a contact person as early as possible will help make your stay in Oldenburg easier as you will be provided with support in:
- preparing your research activities
- determining the duration of your stay
- seeking additional information on your host institution and in finding/ arranging for accommodation
- drafting an employment contract with the Division 1: Personnel/Organisation
Furthermore, you will receive a confirmation from your contact person at the University which you may use to apply for any necessary financial aid, scholarship, or fellowship.
Please also check the websites of the German embassy/German mission in your home country or of the German Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt) for information on the documents required for your visa application. Your application form should be submitted in duplicate. We also recommend making copies of all your documents for your own records.
- A valid (biometric) passport. It must be valid for the entire duration of your stay and for a further three months after your scheduled departure. Your passport must have been issued within the last ten years and must contain a biometric passport photo
- The fully completed and signed visa application form with two biometric passport photos that meet visa photo requirements. You should apply as early as possible and well ahead of your intended date of travel. If you intend to bring your family with you, an application form must be completed for each member of your family. Copies of your birth certificate and marriage certificate may be required as proof of family relations. The copies must be officially certified and translated into German
- Information on the purpose of your stay in Germany. If you will be conducting research or be employed at the University, you may submit the invitation letter or your employment contract from the University of Oldenburg stating the name of the institution where you will be working
- Information on your proposed accommodation in Germany
- Information on and proof of financial resources. Please provide information on your income, your scholarship, or the like
- Proof of health insurance coverage that has to be valid and recognised in Germany
- Copies of qualifications gained at university or at an institution of higher education that have been officially certified and translated into German
- Several biometric passport photos which are required for various documents
- The University’s Division for Personnel and Organisation requires a certificate of good conduct (Führungszeugnis) if you sign an employment contract. Please also check which other documents you need to submit
- A valid vaccination certificate/record. Please be sure to undergo a general medical examination (including a dental checkup) prior to your departure
- Your driving licence