Advisor for international doctoral candidates and researchers

Inger Zychla

+49 (0)441 798-2156

A12 3-320

Service for international researchers

Christiane Rochner

+49 (0)441 798-4594

A12 3-304

If you would like to call us, please send a German telephone number to welcomerarm/@uolqlvg.depi7g and we will call you back.

At the moment, the SSC – Student Service Centre (A12) is closed to the public. Please send original documents by post or use the post box in building V01 (Poststelle), Ammerländer Heerstraße 118.

Our team of tutors for international doctoral candidates offers help and support with all general questions and about life in Oldenburg. The tutor team can be reached at;od/u (phd.tutor@uol.huvbgde)


Corona crisis: entry regulations for international doctoral candidates and researchers

International doctoral candidates and researchers please register at the University's guest portal to receive current information and support. Current information on entry regulations can be found at

Entry regulations (corona crisis)

Please register with the City of Oldenburg within two weeks after arrival in Germany. Also, please apply in good time for a visa extension or a residence permit. Even if you were allowed to enter Germany without a visa you may need to obtain a residence permit, depending on the duration and the prupose of your stay. Electronic residence permits (elektronischer Aufenthaltstitel, or eAT) issued in credit-card format have been available since 2011. Local Foreign Residents' Offices can be contacted for further advice and services.

Registration with the City of Oldenburg

All German nationals and foreign nationals moving to Germany for more than two months, or moving within Germany, must report their current place of residence (address) to the Einwohnermeldeamt, the Residents' Registration office, within two weeks upon entry or relocation and in person. In Oldenburg, you report your current address to either the Bürgerbüro Mitte or Bürgerbüro Nord ("Citizens' Office"; the city administration/municipality), depending on which part of town you live in. If you live in the area surrounding Oldenburg, please inform the local offices in the respective area. Upon registration, you will receive official confirmation of residence. Family members must also be registered, in person. An identification document is always required!

As of November 2015, a proof of residential address (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung) has to be submitted when registering at the Residents' Registration Offices. This form must be filled in by your landlord or your landlord's representative (e.g. the property manager, Hausverwalter) and serves as proof of your current residential address in Oldenburg.

Please note that if you move to a new place in Oldenburg or to a new city in Germany, you have to report your new address again to the Bürgerbüro or to the Residents' Registration Offfice in the city you moved to. At the end of your stay in Germany, when you are about to return to your home country, you need to give notice of your departure. When you de-register at the Residents' Registration Office, you need to bring with you your identification document, the proof of residential address that has to be filled in by your current landlord who confirms that you are about to move out, and your current confirmation of residence (aktuelle Meldebescheinigung).

If you stay in Germany for up to three months

A visa granted for a maximum of three months will be sufficient. However, you need to register with the Residents' Registration Office (Bürgerbüro) as it is compulsory in Germany to report your current place of residence. This also applies to EU, EEA and Swiss Citizens.

If you stay in Germany for more than three months

A visa extension or residence permit will be required if your stay in Germany exceeds three months. Please send your application in due time. This also applies to countries with a visa exemption agreement with Germany. Detailed information can be found at Visa and Entry. We recommend you contact the German embassy in your home country or current country of residence as early as possible and well ahead of your intended date of travel. In Oldenburg, you may also contact the  Welcome Center of the City of Oldenburg for any information relevant to your stay, e.g. information on immigration law issues.

Temporary residence permit

As it may take several weeks for your electronic residence permit to be issued, you need to apply for a temporary residence permit (Fiktionsbescheinigung) if your current residence title is due to expire within the waiting period. This is a temporary document to replace your expired permit until you receive your new electronic residence permit. If you applied in good time for an extension of your residence permit, you will usually receive a Fortbestandsfiktion, as the current permit to reside in Germany remains valid until you receive the new one. Travelling with a temporary residence permit is possible, but we recommend that you contact the embassy of the country you visit regarding entry and departure requirements. Temporary residence permits are subject to fees. For further information please contact the Welcome Center of the City of Oldenburg.

Required documents for residence permit

The documents required to obtain a residence permit will vary depending on the circumstances, you will definitely need:

  • a valid (biometric) passport or identity card that was issued within the last ten years and contains a biometric passport photo
  • a current biometric passport photo
  • Information on the purpose of your stay in Germany (employment, research, etc.). If you are coming to do research or to take up employment at the University, you can submit your invitation letter or your employment contract from the University of Oldenburg stating which faculty/institution you will be working at.
  • proof of adequate financial resources (proof of earnings) to show you can meet estimated expenses for you and your dependents (e.g. contract of employment, scholarship, etc.)
  • proof of valid health insurance coverage for you and for each member of your family accompanying you
  • the confirmation of residence you received upon first registration in Oldenburg
  • a copy of your birth certificate and marriage certificate (if relevant), as well as birth certificates for each member of your family accompanying you. These copies must be officially certified and translated into German.

Please contact the Welcome Center of the City of Oldenburg for any further information on required documents. Please also note that public authorities often require you to be accompanied by an interpreter. You can ask a friend or colleague to act as interpreter.

IO0n3om-Webrwmastrsy9ernuidn (marketiczng.oiziorm@uovf07ol.ue1de) (Changed: 2020-07-16)