Joint Graduate Research Training Group
The binational, interdepartmental and interdisciplinary programme aims to foster the integration of basic research, patient-oriented research, and population-based research with the long-term aim to improve health and patient outcome. PhD students work on a three year individual research project in the fields of psychiatry, oncology, immunology or genetics and receive a broad training with courses in molecular biology, statistics, epidemiology, neuroscience, academic writing and others.
Students are jointly supervised by one PI at the University Medical Center Groningen and one PI at the Faculty of Medicine in Oldenburg. They will receive a joint degree from both institutions. The first students started in early 2018. They conduct research in one of the following projects.
- Project 1: “Development of brain stimulation techniques for the therapy of auditory verbal hallucinations” (Prof. Dr. Christoph Herrmann/ Prof. Dr. Andre Aleman/ Dr. Branislava Curcic-Blake)
- Project 2: “Emotional reactivity in Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder” (Prof. Dr. Christiane Thiel/ Prof. Dr. Pieter Hoekstra/External Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Alexandra Philipsen)
- Project 3: “Ciliopathies and intracellular signaling – unravelling the underlying mechanisms and implications for therapeutic approaches” (Prof. Dr. John Neidhardt/ Prof. Dr. Kathrin Thedieck)
- Project 4: “Bullous pemphigoid – What makes the blister?” (Prof. Dr. Ulrike Raap/ Dr. Barbara Horvath)
- Project 5: “Identification and characterization of functional and plasmatic markers of microvascular dysfunction for the prediction of adverse outcome after major surgery – A translational approach” (Prof. Dr. Gregor Theilmeier/ Prof. Dr. Thomas W.L. Scheeren/ Dr. Matijs van Meurs)
- Project 6: “Evaluation of biomarker for response to immune checkpoint Inhibitors in patients with advanced non-small cell lung in tissue and liquid biopsy” (Prof. Dr. Frank Griesinger/ Prof. Dr. Harry J.M. Groen)
- Project 7: “Individual patient treatment plan verification of scanned beam proton irradiation” (Prof. Dr. Björn Poppe/Assoc. Prof. Dr. Antje C. Knopf/ Prof. Dr. Johannes Albertus Langendijk)
- Project 8: "Systems medicine approaches to the PI3K-mTOR network" (Prof. Dr. Hans Gerd Nothwang/ Prof. Dr. Kathrin Thedieck)
Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg
- Admission as a doctoral candidate at the faculty (VI Medicine and Health Sciences)Please fill in the application form of the PhD board of the faculty and the Dissertation Agreement and bring it with your original certificates to Ms. Sonja Gellermann (email@example.com, +49 441 798-3628, CvO Universität Oldenburg, Carl-von-Ossietzky-Str. 9-11, Building: W16A, Room 0-014).
- Matriculation as a PhD student at the university
For doctorate students of the CvO University a matriculation in your PhD subject (e.g. Biology, Medicine etc.) is required. For the enrolment at the university please use the Online Registration under https://www.uni-oldenburg.de/en/registering-phd/ and follow the instructions.
- Admission to the Graduate School OLTECH
To apply for one of the PhD study programmes (“Medicine and Health Sciences) of the Graduate School OLTECH, please fill in the application form of the Graduate School and bring it with your original certificates to the OLTECH Office (firstname.lastname@example.org, +49 441 798-3648 und -3649, Building W3, Room 1-138).
For further information please contact the OLTECH office, Sonja Gellermann or Nina Löchte (email@example.com, +49 441 798-3040).
- For admission at the University of Groningen, UMCG please see the website of the Graduate School of Medical Sciences (https://www.rug.nl/research/gradschool-medical-sciences/).
- Every PhD student in one of the research institutes of the UMCG must be registered at the Graduate School of Medical Sciences (GSMS). New PhD students are invited to register in Hora Finita: https://horafinita.rug.nl/registratie/
- Registration is mandatory. Being registered in Hora Finita makes you visible as a PhD student at the UMCG, giving you the opportunity to make use of GSMS support, like courses and activities in the graduate schools’ education program.
- Be sure to know your RUG P-number, the names and e-mail addresses of your (co-) promotores to register in Hora Finita. Ask the manager of your UMCG department if you don't have a RUG P-number yet.For further information please contact Dr. Desiree Jansen (d.fed/c9.jansen@u
yh0s3mcg.rejmfnlcc8c, + 31 50 361 6780).
- For information about the curriculum please see the website of the Graduate School Science, Medicine and Technology (Oldenburg) and the website of the Graduate School of Medical Sciences (Groningen).
For information about the curriculum please see the website of the Graduate School Science, Medicine and Technology (Oldenburg) and the website of the Graduate School of Medical Sciences (Groningen).
The "JointDegree" is an agreement between the University of Oldenburg and the Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, which regulates their proceedings of joint doctorates.