RE Career Days 2018 at University of Oldenburg
by Edu Knagge (PPRE 1990-91)
After incoming students of the Postgraduate Programmes Renewable Energy (PPRE) at University of Oldenburg () are settled in Oldenburg and enjoyed the first weeks of regular lectures and labs, PPRE is organizing the annual RE Career Days to provide career perspectives and present different job profiles available in the field of Renewable Energy (RE).
This year the following thirteen organizations (research institutions and companies) from different RE fields were invited to participate in the two events scheduled for mid and end of November 2018:
- Energypedia, Eschborn – wiki platform for RE knowledge exchange
- Forwind Institute, Oldenburg – Wind Energy Research
- Overspeed GmbH, Oldenburg – Renewable Energy (Wind) Consultancy
- OFFIS energy, Oldenburg – IT Institute / Energy, Smart Grids
- DLR-VE, Inst. f. Networked Energy Systems, Oldenburg – Energy Systems Analysis & Storage, Syst. Integration, Modelling of Energy Systems, Energy Meteorology
- bwe Energiesysteme, Friesoythe – Biogas Energy Systems
- Profec-Ventus, Oldenburg - Testing and Calibration Laboratory for Wind Energy Systems
- Energy Meteo Systems, Oldenburg – Renewable Energy Forecasting / Virtual Power Plants
- DNV-GL, Oldenburg – Renewable Energy Consultancy
- UL DEWI, Wilhelmshaven – Wind Energy Service Provider
- KIT, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology – Energy Storage, PV Power Plants
- Inensus GmbH, Goslar – Mini grids
- WRD Managm. Services / Enercon, Aurich – Wind Farm Engineering - Wind Measurements
Each representative of each company/institution not only presented his/her organization, but more important provided a rough sketch of how a typical RE job may look like in the field they are working in. The majority of the presenters were PPRE alumni now working or researching in Germany for some years already. Therefore, they were well aware of students needs and explained thoroughly different and typical job profiles available and qualifications required. Additionally they were able to give some valuable hints concerning the PPRE-study-program and pinpointed general career perspectives available. Most presentations concluded with concrete placement offers for internships a/o master thesis projects available or indicated possible research or career opportunities for the future.
The audience consists of junior and senior MSc-Students from PPRE, EUREC (European Renewable Energy Master Program) and some other students from University of Oldenburg interested in RE. Overall some 45 students joined the 2 sessions.
Between the joined sessions, students and presenters made use of further discussions and personal interactions during breaks.
Feedback of students and presenters approved that the RE Career Days are of mutual benefit for all parties involved. For organizations it is an ideal platform to recruit highly motivated and skilled personal for internships, thesis topics and even future job placements; on the other hand students get an insight into different RE job profiles, learn about different RE technologies and products available and get valuable contacts for future career opportunities. First fruitful connections between students and companies for concrete internships available in 2019 were already noticed.
Finally students also learn about the various research activities in the field of RE going on in and around University of Oldenburg.