Course of study
- Duration: 4 semesters
- Degree Award: Master of Arts
- Language: German/English
- admission limited
- Special admission requirements
Sustainability Economics and Management - Master's Programme
Humanity is drawing closer to its ecological limits and faces increasing social risks. Problems such as global warming, loss of biodiversity, poverty, or epidemics are becoming more pressing by the day. To deal with these challenges, leaders with solid economic knowledge and a well-founded combination of expertise in ecological and social issues, as well as a strong sense of responsibility are needed - thus, Sustainability Experts.
The University of Oldenburg offers an extraordinary setting for imparting these competences, since sustainability is a central teaching and research field.
In the first semester, basic modules in the fields of Environmental Economics, Sustainability Politics and Management, Environmental Law, and Environmental Sciences are mandatory. These modules form the basis for a more comprehensive deepening and linkage of environmental and sustainability aspects in economics, business administration as well as in social and natural sciences.
In the second and third semester, this basic knowledge will be deepened in five obligatory accent modules. Here, further theoretical as well as application-related knowledge for the economic analysis of environmental and sustainability problems are imparted. The accent modules deal with resource, energy, and climate protection economics, instruments of sustainability management, and corporate social responsibility (CSR). In addition, a research or practical project will be carried out. Further, students can choose four extension modules from a variety of electives in order to gain subject-specific knowledge and competences or to enhance their language skills. A fifth elective module is open for courses from other fields, especially from interdisciplinary study programmes of the Master Cluster Environment and Sustainability . An exchange with one of the partner universities worldwide offering similar degrees is possible and recommended either in the second or third semester.
In the fourth semester, the master’s thesis is written. An accompanying research colloquium serves to deepen further competences in scientific methodology.
- Environmental and Spatial Planning
- Organizational and Environmental Information Systems
An ecological focus in economics, which exists since 1997, is attracting highly motivated students from all over Germany. There is a strong linkage to sustainability research due to the founding of the "Oldenburg Center for Sustainability Economics and Management" (CENTOS) in early 2006. An intensive cooperation with the natural sciences will be further enhanced by, among other things, the strong network within the Master Cluster Environment and Sustainability .
In the field of renewable energy, the University of Oldenburg is one of the leading international univer-sities.
German Language Proficiency
You can proof your German language proficiency with the following language certificates:
- DSH: Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (Level 2)
- TestDaF: Test – Deutsch als Fremdsprache (with level 4 in all four areas)
English Language Proficiency see admissions regulations
You can proof your English language proficiency with the following language certificates:
- Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) Level B2
- if applicants have a university entrance qualification or a university degree obtained in English
- by the Abitur (higher education entrance qualification) or a successfully completed test for level B2, see FAQs for the study programme
The proof of language proficiency must be presented for the enrolment. For other proof possiblities see: Language requirements
For graduates of the master’s programme in Sustainability Economics and Management, this results in a wide range of employment opportunities in companies, especially in sustainability, environmental, and communication departments, or in special projects, such as the introduction of environmental management systems in large enterprises. Start-ups, small and medium-sized companies (especially those from the steadily growing environmental and renewable energy sector) are also looking for specifically trained staff. Consultancy or reviewer activities are another broad professional field. In addition, there is an increasing demand in various political or public institutions, associations, international organizations and NGOs at the national, EU, or global level. The situation is similar in science, where more and more sustainability oriented research projects are being funded.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in economic, social, natural or engineering sciences or a closely related field worth at least 180 credit points.
- Proof of professional competence with at least 5 LP each is expected in the following areas:
- Introduction to microeconomics and
- Introduction to business administration or comparable module and
- Mathematics for economists or comparable module
- English language proficiency at level B2 of Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Possible proof and recognised language tests can be found in the FAQs for the study programme
- Proficiency of German language skills for international students (see Language Skills)
The following special qualifications in the field of sustainability are also an advantage:
- Proof of relevant professional experience or internships
- Proof of specialization in previous studies
- Proof of voluntary work (see admission regulations §4 (2))
- Overview in tabular form about relevant study-specific experiences, to be submitted with the application
The university's own selection procedure is based on a ranking list which is determined by awarding of points. A maximum of 100 points will be awarded. Points are awarded for the following:
- the final grade or the average grade of the previous degree programme (maximum 60 points) and
- professional suitability and special qualifications in the field of sustainability (maximum 40 points).
You will find further details in the current admissions regulations.
Frequently Asked Questions about admission process
The application deadline for the winter semester is 15 of July.
- Kurzbeschreibung Sustainability Economics and Management (M.A.) [pdf]
- Brief Information Sustainability Economics and Management (M.A.) (English Version) [pdf]
- Current courses for Sustainability Economics and Management (Master's Programme)
- Internetseite Sustainability Economics and Management (M.A.)
- Website Sustainability Economics and Management (M.A.) (in English)
- Platform for the Study of Renewable Energy (in English)
- Studienportal Erneuerbare Energien
- COAST - Zentrum für Umwelt- und Nachhaltigkeitsforschung
- COAST - Center for Environmental and Sustainability Research
- Der Studiengang befindet sich aktuell im Reakkreditierungsverfahren. Die Akkreditierung wurde vorläufig bis zum 31.08.2020 verlängert (Urkunde folgt).