Course of study
- Duration: 6 semesters
- Degree Award: Bachelor of Arts
- Language: German/English
- admission free
- Special admission requirements
Course of study
English Studies - Dual-Subject Bachelor's Programme
Within the scope of the Dual-subject Bachelor, you can take English Studies
- as a Major (90 ECTS) combined with a Minor
- as a primary or secondary dual subject (60 ECTS) or
- as a Minor (30 ECTS) combined with a Major
English Studies can be studied either in connection with a non-teaching career goal or as a professional teaching qualification. If you want to become a teacher, you must follow the combinations of subjects for each teaching position.
In the bachelor's programme, students learn the basic issues, methods and theories of English Studies. The goal of this programme is to help students gain linguistic and cultural competencies through the acquisition of technical and language skills that can be utilised or conveyed relevant professional situations.
This can be documented for example through the higher education entrance qualification (allgemeine Hochschulreife).
In order to study this course at the University of Oldenburg as a student from outside of Germany, you need an adequate knowledge of German.
German Language Proficiency
You can proof your German language proficiency with the following language certificates:
- DSH: Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (Level 2)
- TestDaF: Test – Deutsch als Fremdsprache (with level 4 in all four areas)
English Language Proficiency see admission regulations.
You can also find information on this under Admission Requirements.
The proof of language proficiency must be presented for the enrolment. Applicants who need a preparatory German course before commencing their studies must present their knowledge of English with their application. For other proof possiblities see: Language requirements
Depending on a graduate's subject combination and academic degree, a number of career options present themselves. The Master of Education (M.Ed.) opens the door to a career in public schools. A master's degree in a single subject (M.A.) qualifies graduates to work in publishing, journalism (radio, TV, newspapers, public relations work in businesses and administrations), in institutions offering non-school or vocational training or further education, and libraries, as well as teaching and research.
If students are interested in a non-school-related goal, more information can be found at the professional field of Foreign Languages Philology (in German).
Proof of a very good command of English:
- At registration with school leaving certificate or diploma with an acceptable grade in English at a higher level (equivalent to the German Abitur with at least 11 points in English at a higher level)
- One of the following international tests:
- TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language): 95 points
- TOEFL ITP (Test of English as a Foreign Language, Institutional Testing Program (the test can be performed only at Sprachenzentrum of University of Oldenburg): 587 points
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): 6.5 points
- Cambridge Advanced English-Test / Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE): C
- Cambridge Proficiency English-Test / Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE): C
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic): 76 points
- School certificate (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung) from a country with English as the official language. The language of instruction must have been English.
- A university degree from a country with English as the official language. The language of instruction must have been English.
- A university degree in English / American Studies. The language of instruction must have been English.
Important note: the language tests
TOEFL iBT "Special Home Edition": at least 95 points
IELTS Indicator: at least 6.5 points on average
- Website Certificate in advanced English (CAE)
- Website International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Website International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (only at Sprachenzentrum of University of Oldenburg)
- Website TOEFL-Test
- Website TOEFL (ITP) (only at Sprachenzentrum of University of Oldenburg)
The application deadline for the winter semester is 15 October.
If applicable, the application deadline depends on the first subject, if it is admission restricted.
- Kurzbeschreibung Anglistik (B.A./B.Sc.) [pdf]
- Combination of subjects for teaching degrees [pdf]
- Fächerkombinationen Lehramt [pdf]
- Current courses for English Studies (Dual-Subject Bachelor's Programme)
- Internetseite Anglistik (B.A./B.Sc.)
- Internetseite Lehramtsausbildung (Didaktisches Zentrum)
- Akkreditierungsurkunde Zwei-Fächer-Bachelorstudiengang (B.A./B.Sc.) bis 2021 [pdf]