Maren Wesselow, M. Sc.
Research fellow within the research project ECOSOLA - Ecosystem-based solutions for resilient urban agriculture in Africa and LIPSINDAR - Linking Partners for a Sustainable and Inclusive Dar es Salaam (on maternity leave until 9th October 2020).
Since 03/2017|Research fellow within the project "ECOSOLA - Ecosystem-based solutions for resilient urban agriculture in Africa" at the chair of Ecological Economics at the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg
02/2014 - 12/2016|Research fellow within the project "SuLaMa - Sustainable Land Management in Madagascar" at the University of Greifswald and at the University of Hamburg (http://www.sulama.de/)
11/2014 - 07/2016|Coordinator of the study course "Sustainability Geography M. Sc." at the University of Greifswald:
|Teaching in the Master's courses "project management for geographers" and "regional geography of selected developing countries"
10/2011 - 01/2014 |M. Sc. Sustainability Geography and Regional Development, University of Greifswald
09/2012 - 09/2013 |Field study in the coffee and cocoa producer cooperative Oro Verde (Peru) (http://www.oroverde.com.pe/)
01/2012 - 08/2012 |Student research assistant in the socio-ecological research group "GETIDOS", University of Greifswald (https://getidos.uni-greifswald.de/)
11/2009 - 09/2011|Marketing and sales assistant at Ethiquable e. G. (wholesaler for fair traded and organic products), Berlin (http://www.ethiquable.de/)
10/2006 - 07/2009|B. A. Social Management, University of Applied Sciences Nordhausen
10/2008 - 02/2009|Exchange semester at the University of León (Spain)
03/2008 - 07/2008 |Practical semester at the Friedrich Ebert Foundation in Budapest (Hungary)
- In town everyone is in his own. Building self-organized farmer institutions in Dar es Salaam. Presentation at the Annual Conference of TRIALOG 2018, 7 – 8 June 2018, Dortmund (Germany)
- Agriculture in an urban society. Social challenges and implications. Presentation at the Sustainable African Cities Conference: Debating current challenges and Exploring Future Pathways, 4 - 6 July 2018, Accra (Ghana)
- The lonesome farmer? Urbanising farmer institutions in Dar es Salaam. Presentation at the AKSA-Jahrestagung, 24 – 25 November 2017, Erlangen (Germany)
- Role-Playing Games - eine partizipative Methode für die Forschung und das Management von natürlichen Ressourcen. Poster contribution at the Future Earth Summit, 28 - 29 January 2016, Berlin (Germany)
- Different Methods for different Purposes. Experiences with participatory methods in the SuLaMa research project. Presentation at the Final Conference of the BMBF-Funding Measure‚ Sustainable Land Management‘, 7- 9 March 2016, Berlin (Germany)
- Role Playing Games in Land Use Research. Experiences from the Mahafaly Plateau in Madagascar. Presentation at the Conference on Tropical and Subtropical Agricultural and Natural Resource Management - “Tropentag” 16 - 18 September 2015, Humboldt-University Berlin (Germany)
- Les méthodes participatives. l'approche SuLaMa à une gestion durable des ressources naturelles. Presentation at the SuLaMa Final Conference, 24 September 2015, Toliara (Madagacar)
Wesselow M, Kifunda C, Auerbach R, Siebenhüner B (2020): Urban Agriculture: Challenges and Opportunities in Urban Water Management and Planning. In: Auerbach R: Organic Food Systems. Meeting the Needs of Southern Africa. Oxfordshire/ UK; Boston/ USA: CABI. Online at: https://www.cabi.org/cabebooks/FullTextPDF/2019/20193449000.pdf
Wesselow M and Mashele J (2019): “Who needs money if you got hands, if you got plants." Forming community resilience in two urban gardening networks in South Africa. Human Ecology, 47(6), 855-864. doi: 10.1007/s10745-019-00116-5
Wesselow M (2019) "In Town, Everyone Is on Their Own." Building Informal Risk Management Arrangements Among Urban Farmers in Dar es Salaam. TRIALOG 134 3/2018: 4-8.
Schmidt L, Hartberger K, Kobbe S, Falk T, Wesselow M, Schumann C (2018) Stakeholder Involvement in Transdisciplinary Research. Lessons from Three Projects on Sustainable Land Management in a North-South Setting. GAIA 27/3: 312 – 320
Wesselow M and Stoll-Kleemann S (2018) Role-Playing Games in Natural Resource Management and Research. Lessons Learned from Theory and Practice. The Geographical Journal 184: 298 – 309 (doi: 10.1111/geoj.12248)
Kobbe S, Kübler D, Ratovonamana Y, Fricke R, Andriamparany J, Brinkmann K, Götter J, Rakotomalala D, Wesselow M (2017) SuLaMa – Participatory research to support sustainable land management on the Mahafaly Plateau in southwestern Madagascar – Final report (01.01. 2011 – 31.12.2016)