Maren Wesselow, M. Sc.
Maren Wesselow, M. Sc.
Maren Wesselow, M. Sc.
Research fellow within the research project ENaQ (Energetisches Nachbarschaftsquartier Fliegerhorst Oldenburg).
- Urban development and participation
- Urban communities and informal organizational processes
- Social innovation in the energy transition
- Transdisciplinary and qualitative research methods
Since 07/2021 Research fellow within the project ENaQ (Energetisches Nachbarschaftsquartier Fliegerhorst Oldenburg) at the chair of Ecological Economics at the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg
Since 03/2017 Research fellow within the project ECOSOLA (Ecosystem-based solutions for resilient urban agriculture in Africa) and LIPSINDAR (Linking partners for a sustainable and inclusive Dar es Salaam) at the chair of Ecological Economics at the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg [on maternity leave from 09/2019 - 10/2020]
02/2014 - 12/2016 Research fellow within the project "SuLaMa - Sustainable Land Management in Madagascar" at the University of Greifswald and at the University of Hamburg (www.sulama.de/)
11/2014 - 07/2016 Coordinator of the masters programme "Sustainability Geography" at the University of Greifswald
10/2011 - 01/2014 M. Sc. Sustainability Geography and Regional Development, University of Greifswald, carrying out a one-year case study in a coffee and cocoa producer cooperative from 8/2012 to 8/2013 (Peru) (www.oroverde.com.pe/) and work as Student research assistant in the socio-ecological research group GETIDOS at the University of Greifswald (getidos.uni-greifswald.de/) (01/2012 - 08/2012)
11/2009 - 09/2011 Marketing and sales assistant at Ethiquable e. G. (wholesaler for fair traded and organic products), Berlin (http://www.ethiquable.de/)
10/2006 - 07/2009 B. A. Social Management, University of Applied Sciences Nordhausen, including exchange semester at the University of León (Spain) from 10/2008 - 02/2009 and practical semester at the Friedrich Ebert Foundation in Budapest (Hungary) (03/2008 - 07/2008)
Presentations and Posters
- Responsible innovations through a participatory process design. Presentation together with Antonieta Alcorta de Bronstein and Ernst Schäfer at the XXXIII ISPIM INNOVATION CONFERENCE. Innovating in a Digital World. June 5 to 8, 2022
- Social Innovations for energy transition through participation: Experiences from ENaQ. Presentation together with Antonieta Alcorta de Bronstein and Ernst Schäfer at the Online-Conference Social innovation: Next steps in the energy transition, 18 - 19 November 2021, Delft University
- In town everyone is in his own. Building self-organized farmer institutions in Dar es Salaam. Presentation at the Annual Conference of TRIALOG 2018, 7 – 8 June 2018, Dortmund (Germany)
- Agriculture in an urban society. Social challenges and implications. Presentation at the Sustainable African Cities Conference: Debating current challenges and Exploring Future Pathways, 4 - 6 July 2018, Accra (Ghana)
- The lonesome farmer? Urbanising farmer institutions in Dar es Salaam. Presentation at the AKSA-Jahrestagung, 24 – 25 November 2017, Erlangen (Germany)
- Role-Playing Games - eine partizipative Methode für die Forschung und das Management von natürlichen Ressourcen. Poster contribution at the Future Earth Summit, 28 - 29 January 2016, Berlin (Germany)
- Different Methods for different Purposes. Experiences with participatory methods in the SuLaMa research project. Presentation at the Final Conference of the BMBF-Funding Measure‚ Sustainable Land Management‘, 7- 9 March 2016, Berlin (Germany)
- Role Playing Games in Land Use Research. Experiences from the Mahafaly Plateau in Madagascar. Presentation at the Conference on Tropical and Subtropical Agricultural and Natural Resource Management - “Tropentag” 16 - 18 September 2015, Humboldt-University Berlin (Germany)
- Les méthodes participatives. l'approche SuLaMa à une gestion durable des ressources naturelles. Presentation at the SuLaMa Final Conference, 24 September 2015, Toliara (Madagacar)
Karrasch L, Grothmann T, Michel T A, Wesselow M, Wolter H, Unger A, Wegner A, Giebels D, Siebenhüner B (2022) Integrating knowledge within and between knowledge types in transdisciplinary sustainability research: Seven case studies and an indicator framework. Environmental Science and Policy 131. 14-25.
Wesselow M, Kifunda C, Auerbach R, Siebenhüner B (2020): Urban Agriculture: Challenges and Opportunities in Urban Water Management and Planning. In: Auerbach R: Organic Food Systems. Meeting the Needs of Southern Africa. Oxfordshire/ UK; Boston/ USA: CABI. Online at: Cabi
Wesselow M and Mashele J (2019): “Who needs money if you got hands, if you got plants." Forming community resilience in two urban gardening networks in South Africa. Human Ecology, 47(6), 855-864. doi: 10.1007/s10745-019-00116-5
Wesselow M (2019) "In Town, Everyone Is on Their Own." Building Informal Risk Management Arrangements Among Urban Farmers in Dar es Salaam. TRIALOG 134 3/2018: 4-8.
Schmidt L, Hartberger K, Kobbe S, Falk T, Wesselow M, Schumann C (2018) Stakeholder Involvement in Transdisciplinary Research. Lessons from Three Projects on Sustainable Land Management in a North-South Setting. GAIA 27/3: 312 – 320
Wesselow M and Stoll-Kleemann S (2018) Role-Playing Games in Natural Resource Management and Research. Lessons Learned from Theory and Practice. The Geographical Journal 184: 298 – 309 (doi: 10.1111/geoj.12248)