Prof. Dr. Tamas Tel
Home address (office):
Loránd Eötvös University (ELTE), Faculty of Science, Institute of Physics,
Pázmány Péter sétány 1/A,
H-1117 Budapest, Hungary
- E-mail: tel(ph9zat)g+b0venerleuhfal.elte.yamwhu (email@example.com)
Date of Birth: March 29th, 1951
Nonequilibrium processes, chaotic dynamics, transient chaos, noise, environmental flows and their laboratory modeling, spreading of pollutants and volcanic ash, advection of inertial particles, conceptual aspects of climate dynamics
Visiting scientist at
Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems, Dresden, July and October 2012 (AvH)
University of Arizona, Tempe, 2008,
University of Maryland, College Park, 1992
Forschungszentrum Jülich, Jülich, 1989-1991
The Weizmann Institute, Rehovot, 1987
Universtitat Essen, 1982-84
ICTP Trieste, 1980.
- Invited speaker at 19 international conferences and schools.
- Principal investigator of two projects of the US-Hungarian Joint Fund (1993-200), and of two large
- scale projects of the Hungarian National Science Foundation, OTKA (2001-2010).
- Author of 2 books in English (3 in Hungarian), of 150 research papers in English (and 39 research
- papers and other scientific writings in Hungarian).
- New book: Y.-C. Lai, T. Tél, Transient Chaos, Complex Dynamics on Finite-Time Scales, Springer, 2011
Organizer and co-organizer of international conferences and schools
DIPOAP08, Dresden, 1-26 September, 2008 (with E. Bodenschatz, U. Feudel),
ACTIFLOW, Dresden, 29 August – 24 September, 2002 (with C. Grebogi, Z. Toroczkai)
Phase Separation in Physics, Chemistry and Biology, Budapest, 2-7 July, 2000 (with Z. Rácz)
Non-equilibrium Steady States, Budapest, 10-21 July, 1995 (with Z. Rácz)
Chaos and Irreversibility, Budapest, 31 August- 6 September. 1997,
DYNAMICS DAYS'94, Budapest, 15-18 June, 1994 (with G. Eilenberger)
Member of editorial boards or advisory boards
Physical Review E, 2010-,
Focus issue on Active Chaotic Flow, Chaos 11, pp 372-530 (2002) (with Z. Toroczkai)
Focus issue on Chaos and Irreversibility, Chaos 8, pp. 309-461 (1998) (with P. Gaspard and G.
Focus issue on Chaotic Scattering, Chaos 3, pp. 417.706 (1993) (with E. Ott).
Dynamics Days Europe, Organization Committee, member: 2000-
EPS (European Physical Society), Nonlinear Physics Commission, member: 1998-2008
IUPAP (International Union of Pure and Applied Physics) Commission on Statistical Physics, member 1996-2002
Hungarian Academy of sciences, Commission on Statistical Physics, secretary 1991-1994
Loránd Eötvös Physical Society, Statistical Physics Commission, president, 1991-1993
2011 Humboldt Research Prize
2009 Simonyi Károly Award of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences
1999 2002 Széchenyi Scholarship
1995 Academy Award of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences