Universität Oldenburg, ICBM,
Tel: +49 (0)441 / 798-3634
Fax: 0441 / 798-3404
ENVICOPAS - Impact of Environmental Changes on Coastal Pathogens Systems
In the last decades, massive mortalities of oysters are more frequently reported and have beenassociated with bacteria of the genus Vibrio. Some of these bacteria are potentially human-pathogenic and can cause, for example, gastroenteritis, wound or ear infections. An increasing number of human infections due to Vibrio spp. in the North and Baltic Sea has been reported since the mid 1990s. It is anticipated that under global warming conditions, the risk of the occurrence of these (human-) pathogenic bacteria will further increase.
Within this interdisciplinary project, the aim of my PhD is to predict the effect of environmental changes (e.g. temperature changes) on pathogen dynamics in coastal environments. Particularly, the influence of changing environmental conditions on
- the spatial distribution of pathogens due to hydrodynamic flows,
- the population dynamics of Vibrio spp. in the seawater and
- pathogen transmission between oysters
will be studied with a coupled biological-hydrodynamic model. This will help to evaluate the potential alteration of the disease risk in the context of climate change and environmental disturbances.
- Theoretical ecology, especially eco-epidemiological modelling and population dynamics of host-parasite systems
- Oceanography, especially unstructured-grid ocean modelling and hydrography of the North Sea
- Aquatic diseases, especially the spatial dispersion of pathogens and impact of climate change
- Schakau, V., Lettmann, K.A., Wolff, J.-O., (2015) Modelling the seasonal occurrence and distribution of humanpathogenic bacteria within the German Bight, southern North Sea. Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 17, EGU2015-1324.
Talks & Poster
- Schakau, V., Hilker, F.M., Lewis, M.A.: Spores, salmon and streams: A modelling approach for salmonid Ceratomyxosis in the Klamath River System. ECMTB, Nottingham, UK, July 2016 (Talk).
- Schakau, V., Lettmann, K.A., Wolff, J.-O.: Modelling the seasonal occurrence and distribution of human-pathogenic bacteria within the German Bight, southern North Sea. FVCOM User Workshop, Halifax, Canada, October 2015 (Poster).
- Schakau, V., Hilker, F.M.: Modelling infectious diseases in streams and rivers. MPDE‘15, Niterói, Brazil, August 2015 (Talk).
- Schakau, V., Lettmann, K.A., Wolff, J.-O: Modelling the seasonal occurrence and distribution of human-pathogenic bacteria within the German Bight, southern North Sea. EGU General Assembly, Vienna, Austria, April 2015 (Talk).