Gender and Politics
Lectures: Sunday, Oct. 21, 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Setting the agenda for the working group: Thursday, Oct. 25, 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Working group (independent): Friday, Oct. 26 – Sunday Oct. 28 (16 hrs)
Presentation: Monday, Oct 29, 10:00 – 4:30 pm (30 min.)
The crisis of participation can be occurred when the regime is unable to meet the increased call of a wide range of citizens for participation in the political system .Participation in making the political decision can be achieved though channels and institutions which citizens can use to directly and indirectly influence in decision making both on the national and international level.
There are a number of reasons behind this unfair deprivation of woman which include: the old heritage which is rooted from pre-Islamic when a female baby is born, her father's turned black of shame, democracy that has been given to women is still new specially in the political field ,woman's political behaviour is independent due to the relationship between woman and man, the main focus is on man due to the backward culture which sees that woman is not qualified for political work, the rate of educated women is still few, and the negative roles of mosque and media toward women .
We can enhance the role of woman by the following :
The right cultural structure for society , apply democracy in its real sense ,giving woman a chance in the leading positions, and criminalize any behavior that deliberately maltreats woman in accordance with the backward heritage.
- Women celebrate anniversary of gaining political rights-By Nawara Fathahova, Kuwait 2007
- Political participation of women in the Arab World – By Amany Abulfadi Farag, Al-Ahram, 2007
- The evolution of women in Middle Eastern politics-opportunities for women in parliament – By Abdul-Rahmen B. Akande, Master of Arts in Law & Diplomacy Thesis, 2007
- Female Parliamentarians strive for increased political participation – By Rana Hussein, Jordan Times 2005
- Arab women in public life & decision-making –By Women Department -Economic & Social Commission for Western Asia, 2005
- Arab Human Development Report, 2005
- Women & political participation – By Carolina Rodriguez Bello, 2003