Applying to the MTEL Programme
You can apply to the MTEL programme for either the Winter or Summer Semester. Please note the following application deadlines:
- Apply May 1 to August 1; begin in Winter Semester
- Apply November 1 to February 1; begin in Summer Semester
Applicants who hold a degree from a non-German university will need to submit their application using uni-assist (https://www.uni-assist.de/en/). As processing time can be lengthy, we encourage you to submit your application well before the deadline, e.g., June 1 for the winter semester and December 1 for the summer semester. These dates are recommended but not required. More information about the uni-assist process can be found under Step 2.
To successfully apply to the MTEL programme, you must meet the following entry requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent degree of at least 210 credit points
- At least one year of professional experience
- English language competence at C1 Level or English as native language (i.e., citizen of a country where English is the national language)
Do you have a bachelor's degree or equivalent degree with less than 210 credits?
In this case, you can receive additional credit for the following qualifications:
- Professionally relevant qualifications or competences acquired through further education and training (obtained outside of the bachelor’s programme), and/or
- Professional experience relevant to the course of study, with one year of professional experience equivalent to 30 credits (obtained outside of the bachelor’s programme), and/or
- Additional certification that can applied as earned credit points (obtained while in the bachelor's programme), and/or
- Additional study periods that can be applied as earned credit points
A maximum of 30 credits can be applied as credit toward the MTEL degree.
You can apply for the MTEL programme using the following processes:
- For applicants with a German degree, use this application form to apply to the programme.
- For applicants with a non-German degree, use uni-assist to apply to the programme: https://www.uni-assist.de/en/.
When submitting your application, you will need to obtain and submit the following documents:
- Completed registration form.
When you fill out the application form on your computer, your application will be automatically created, and you only need to print out the completed form.
- Proof of previous university studies (for example, course certificate(s), certificate of enrollment, certificate of last enrollment and/or programme withdrawal, or official transcript)
- Proof of at least one year of work experience (for example, work contract, certificate of employment, official statement from employer)
- Proof of English language competence (if needed)
- Curriculum Vitae and a summary of experience relevant to pursuit of the MTEL programme degree
- Motivation letter, stating your professional and personal goals in pursuing the degree
- Course registration form (optional)
To ensure registration for an upcoming course module(s), complete the course registration form for the upcoming semester
Note: Uni-assist gives you the option to submit more than the documents listed above. You are only required to submit the above documents during the application process unless otherwise specified by uni-assist. Please check the uni-assist site to determine if there are any additional country-specific requirements, for example, if you require additional certification for a degree earned in a certain country. If you encounter problems when submitting your application, please contact the uni-assist support or mtel@uol./1do+defra.
For applicants who hold a German degree, send your documents to:
Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg
Center for Lifelong Learning
For applicants with a non-German degree, submit your documents to uni-assist (https://www.uni-assist.de/en/). Uni-assist is an association that supports universities in Germany in matters related to registration, as well as supports international students with their application for studies in Germany, specifically in supporting the review and evaluation of international applications to German universities. Please note the following when submitting your application using uni-assist:
- You will need to submit certified copies of degrees, certificates, and transcripts.
- For any degrees, certificates, transcripts, or other related documents that are not in English or German, you will need to obtain a certified translation of the document.
- Application processing time may take longer when submitting via uni-assist, so we encourage you to submit your application by June 1 for the winter semester and December 1 for the summer semester.
Applicants with a non-German degree will use the online uni-assist process to submit applications and supporting documents online. Uni-assist will review the application package for completion and evaluate your eligibility for the MTEL programme. Uni-assist will charge a fee for this service. Additional information about the uni-assist process can be found on the uni-assist website: https://www.uni-assist.de/en/. Frequently asked questions about the process can be found here:
- University of Oldenburg: https://uol.de/en/students/application/international-students/faq-uni-assist/
- Uni-assist: https://www.uni-assist.de/en/
After receiving your application, we will confirm receipt and verify that your application is complete. If any documents are missing, we will notify you, and you can submit them up until the application deadline. For those candidates who submit their application via uni-assist, you will be contacted by uni-assist regarding the receipt and completeness of your application.
Your application will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee shortly after the end of the respective application period. The Admissions Committee examines the application to ensure that you have met the admission requirements and then approves or rejects applications.
Please note that the University Admissions Office will require you to provide certified (notarized) copies of your transcripts before admission to the programme.
Once the Admissions Committee has reviewed and accepted your application, you will be informed of their decision via the application portal. If the Admissions Committee has determined that you meet the entry requirements, you can use the application portal to accept your place within the programme and to submit an application for enrollment. This is generated via the application portal (https://elearning.uni-oldenburg.de) and contains further information about how to complete enrollment. Please note that you may need to submit supporting documents with your acceptance letter; for example, applicants age 30 and under will need to provide proof of health insurance.
You will need to submit your acceptance letter by October 15 for the winter semester and April 1 for the summer semester.
The application for enrollment must be sent together with supporting documents to the Matriculation Office (Immatrikulationsamt) of the University of Oldenburg.
Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg
For additional information about the admissions process, please see the Admission Regulations for the MTEL programme, as well as the university FAQ page: https://uol.de/en/students/application/international-students/faq-admission/
As a working professional, you bring with you not only a bachelor’s degree, but also practical experience in the field. You may have also completed certificates, training, and other forms of education. Through our prior learning assessment and recognition (PLAR) programme, you have the possibility to apply this prior learning toward your MTEL degree. This prior learning may include:
- Competences acquired in your professional practice
- Academic credits or degrees (if these exceed the level required for your application to MTEL, for example, related certificates or degrees)
- Competences acquired through training and other forms of continuing education
To receive credit for your prior learning, you will need to demonstrate equivalency with the learning outcomes of the MTEL programme or course modules. Applying prior learning credit to your MTEL degree ensure that it is not necessary for you to complete courses in areas in which you already have expertise – and allows you to shorten your time in the master’s programme by studying fewer modules. You can apply for PLAR credit at any time: before, during, or even after applying for placement in the MTEL programme.
For more information, click here.