We are sure many of you are wondering about the up-coming Talent in Toronto conference this May. We apologize for the delay in getting information to you, but this situation was (and still is) very fluid. We have been working with the venue and many of you, as you deal with specific restrictions and constraints from your universities. Based on the feedback and concern we have received from several people, we are disappointed to inform you that we are cancelling the event for May with the goal of re-organizing it at a later date. We will work with everyone to try to find a date that works.
In the weeks ahead, we will work with those who have already registered for the conference to refund your registration fees.
For those who have already booked their flights, we apologize for any inconvenience this cancellation causes. Most air carriers have developed contingency plans to deal with COVID-19 affected travel and you may wish to check there. If there are people who are still planning to come to Toronto in May, please let us know. We have discussed setting up a smaller meeting of ‘folks in the area’ at York University or Ontario Technical University. Once we have an idea of numbers, more details will follow. Again, this might be very fluid, because of travel restrictions that might apply.
We continue to have high expectations for the event and believe the time is right to change how we experience scientific conferences and discussions. We look forward to continuing this discussion with you.
I am sure you are like us disappointed that we will not be able to have the meeting this year, but given the circumstances, it was the only reasonable option. We hope you agree.
Joe, Nick and Jörg