Call for Applications
Joint Research Fellowships
at the School of Medicine and Health Sciences of the Carl von Ossietzky University Oldenburg
and the Hanse-Wissenschaftskolleg Institute for Advanced Study (HWK), Germany
Deadline: September 24, 2018
Open to: Postdoctoral and senior researchers in all fields of medical research
The School of Medicine and Health Sciences and the Hanse-Wissenschaftskolleg Institute for Advanced Study Delmenhorst (HWK) offer two joint Fellowships for researchers in all fields of medicine and health sciences for a duration of up to six months with residence periods starting in 2019.
The School of Medicine and Health Sciences is a recently established medical faculty at the University of Oldenburg (Germany) and partners with the University of Groningen (Netherlands) for education and research in a European model project. Research at the faculty is characterized by a close collaboration between the medical and natural science departments and health services research, featuring innovative medical studies and several co-operative projects like the Cluster of Excellence "Hearing4all", collaborative research centers and research training groups. More information: https://www.uni-oldenburg.de/en/medicine/
The HWK is an Institute for Advanced Study offering outstanding scientists the opportunity to focus on research away from their daily academic routine and to interact with fellows from different disciplines in sciences, humanities, and arts. Fellows reside on the HWK campus and collaborate with research labs at academic institutions in the northwest of Germany. Thus, the HWK is an ideal platform for building networks and for generating innovative ideas. More information: http://www.h-w-k.de/
- lively, diverse, and international community of fellows and research collaborators
- excellent research infrastructure (available at the School of Medicine and Health Sciences)
- appointment as visiting scientist at the University of Oldenburg with adequate remuneration
- free residence in modern, fully equipped apartments on the HWK campus (family apartments available)
- free transportation (cars, public transportation) for business purposes between the HWK campus and Oldenburg University
- support in both academic matters and everyday life by professional staff at the HWK and the School of Medicine and Health Sciences
All applications must include the following items:
- a formal cover letter to the Dean of the School of Medicine and Health Sciences and the Rector of the HWK
- an abstract of the Fellowship project for a non-peer audience (max. 1500 characters incl. blanks)
- an abstract of the Fellowship project for peers (max. 1500 characters incl. blanks)
- a project proposal describing the planned research project containing a detailed work schedule (not more than ten pages including references)
- a curriculum vitae, including a publication list and a list of third-party grants
- a letter of support by the (future) cooperation partner from the School of Medicine and Health Sciences *1
- if applicable: letters of support/confirmation of access to necessary research infrastructure from other cooperating colleagues in the northwest of Germany
- two letters of reference from experts in the field, to be sent to the School of Medicine and Health Sciences directly
All applications must be submitted in electronic form (one PDF file) to Nina Löchte (nina.loechte<at>uol.de).
Evaluation criteria are the scientific excellence of the candidate and of the research proposal, the fit of the proposed project with research at the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, and the willingness to contribute to and to profit from a highly interdisciplinary scientific community at both institutions. Cross-border projects between the School of Medicine and Health Sciences Oldenburg and the University Medical Center Groningen are especially welcome.
To increase the proportion of women in science, equally qualified female candidates will be given preference.
Applicants with disabilities will be preferentially considered in case of equal qualification.
Applications are evaluated in a two-step procedure by a joint committee of the School of Medicine and Health Sciences and the HWK.
Application deadline: September 24, 2018.
Decisions will be announced in late autumn 2018. The period of residence will be in 2019 with concrete dates depending on the availability of apartments at the HWK and on the candidate's schedule.
For inquiries please contact:
Nina Löchte (nina.loechte<at>uol.de) or Dr. Dorothe Poggel (dpoggel<at>h-w-k.de).
*1 Please note: A cooperation with a working group at the School of Medicine and Health Sciences is required during the fellowship. The HWK (dpoggel<at>h-w-k.de) and the School of Medicine and Health Sciences (nina.loechte<at>uol.de) gladly support the initiation of contacts during the application stage.