- Duration: 4 semesters
- Degree Award: Master of Arts
- Language: English
- admission free
- Special admission requirements
Social Sciences - Master's Programme
The "Social Sciences" Master's programme has a broad social science profile, where the key theme of “organisations” is developed across all modules. Organisations are central to modern societies and are present throughout our lives in the areas of education, health, culture, politics and economics. Accordingly, detailed knowledge about the workings of organisations is essential for developing a comprehensive understanding of modern societies. With its unique emphasis on organisations in the German-speaking academic landscape, the M.A. “Social Sciences” provides students with in-depth and consistent knowledge in both political science and sociology.
In our modern society, and in the social sciences in particular, dealing with knowledge construction and social practice is vital to understand how our world works. Here in Oldenburg, the M.A. "Social Sciences" offers opportunities for students to specialise in areas of their own choosing and aims to introduce students to an integrative approach to the analysis of social phenomena. Graduates will be given the tools required to actively participate in and impact the evolution of our modern society.
By using English as the language of instruction, students are able to develop their intercultural skills and become better equipped for navigating a multicultural environment. These abilities ensure that graduates are competitive in both the business world and academia.
- colloquia, and
- Innovative: Unique substantive focus in the German-speaking academic landscape
- Interdisciplinary: Similar shares of content from sociology and political science
- Method-oriented: Comprehensive training in quantitative and qualitative methods
- Multicultural: Promotion of intercultural competencies through English as the language of instruction
- Individual: Opportunity for individual profile formation in the elective modules
- Personal: Close contact with instructors in small groups
German language skills are not required for admission.
In order to study this course at the University of Oldenburg, you need an adequate knowledge of English.
English Language Proficiency see admissions regulations
- Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) Level B2
- if applicants have a university degree in an English-language degree programme obtained in a country with English or German as the official language (within the last two years).
The proof of language proficiency must be presented for the enrolment.
For other proof possibilities see: Language requirements.
By taking the M.A. "Social Sciences", Graduates will acquire a wide range of skills transferable to a number of career opportunities, including:
- University research and teaching
- Teaching in other educations institutions
- Science management at universities or research institutions
- (International) Organisational development and consulting
- Public administration
- Media production and development, including e.g. opinion research
- A Bachelor's degree in Social Sciences, Sociology or Political Science or an equivalent degree in a subject-appropriate programme*.
- Descriptive and inductive statistical competencies amounting to at least 9 credit points.
For more details see Foreign language skills on this page.
This course of studies accepts a limited number of applicants, and application is only possible in the winter semester.
The application deadline for the winter semester is 15 July.
International applicants: There are different application procedures.