Lecturer: Prof. Geoffrey Manley, STELS-OL
Course Language: English
Registration: via StudIP (for students from the University of Bremen “shibboleth login”)
Day 1: Scientific publishing today
- Where to publish Choosing a journal
- Instructions for authors Choosing authors and “who does what and when?”
- Coordinating authors
- Submitting your manuscript – including letter to the editor.
- Choosing possible reviewers
- Responding to reviews
- Making your work known; copyright!
Day 2: The structure of your paper
- the title of a paper
- writing an effective abstract,
- the introduction – what is important?
- the materials and methods – what and how much?
- the results – systematic and clear; use of figures
- the discussion – place your data in context
- the conclusions
- Pitfalls: plagiarism and its consequences; citing and quoting, passive voice, British or American English. Common errors
Day 3. Practice Session
- Individual practice session for paper writing, talks, posters and manuscript study.
- At the request of the participants: Publishing as a poster or as a conference talk