English - Master of Education Programme (Special Needs Education)
With the four-semester Master of Education (Special Needs Education), you will continue your education to become a teacher - building on the dual-subject bachelor's degree programme. In the school-type based Master of Education programme, you will acquire extensive knowledge and experience in both educational science and school practice. You will broaden your curricular knowledge in the teaching subjects chosen.
Within this degree programme, you will focus on current research methods in education with specific links to school practice and advance your practical skills: During the subject and educational diagnostics components of your practical course, you will experience school practice and prepare your own lessons.
The standard period of study for the Master of Education (Special Needs Education) is four semesters.
The master's program, which consists of 120 credit points, is divided into the following studies:
- special needs education (42 credit points)
- a teaching subject in accordance with the Regulations on Master's Degrees for Teachers in Lower Saxony (MasterVO-Lehr) in the current version (30 credit points)
- educational sciences (12 credit points)
- practical phase (12 credit points)
- Master's thesis module (24 credit points)
- Strength in education: Over 40% of students at the University of Oldenburg are studying for a teaching degree
- Strength in research: Final papers can be integrated into research projects; special doctoral programme in teaching and learning research
- Strength in supervision: Intensive supervision through a network of experienced mentors in the practical phase
German Language Proficiency
- DSH: Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (Level 2)
- TestDaF: Test – Deutsch als Fremdsprache (with level 4 in all four areas)
The proof of language proficiency must be presented for the enrolment. For other proof possiblities see: Language requirements
Graduates can also work in private and religious schools, in private tutoring institutes or in schools in other countries. Completing the degree also qualifies students for PhD research.
- A bachelor's degree or a similar qualification in the subjects for which admission to the master's degree programme is applied for
- Combination of subjects according to the current Regulations for Master’s Degrees for teachers in Lower Saxony (Nds. MasterVO-Lehr)
- In both subjects a total of at least 90 credit points in modules related to the teaching profession, of which at least 24 credit points per subject, of which at least 5 credit points in subject-specific didactics/teaching methodology
- for a subject combination with geography, at least 30 credit points in each subject, of which at least 6 credit points in the didactics component and at least 24 credit points in the scientific component.
- A minimum of 18 credits in teaching-related educational sciences
- Successfully completed special education internship in social welfare (orientation internship) as well as a successfully completed special education school internship (internship in a school environment).
Note for external applicants (Bachelor's degree from a university other than the University of Oldenburg):
- at least 180 credits according to the grade certificate at the time of application
- with less than 180 credits, the sum of Bachelor's credits still missing and requirements determined may not exceed 30 credits
This is an open admissions degree course. Application is only possible in the winter semester for 1st and higher semester.
The application deadline for the winter semester is 15th August.
Only for higher semester: The application deadline for the summer semester is 15th February