Material Culture: Textiles - Dual-Subject Bachelor's Programme
Within the scope of the Dual-subject Bachelor, you can take Material Culture
- as a Major (90 ECTS) combined with a Minor
- as a primary or secondary dual subject (60 ECTS) or
- as a Minor (30 ECTS) combined with a Major
Material Culture can be studied either in connection with a non-teaching career goal or as a professional teaching qualification. If you want to become a teacher, you must follow the combinations of subjects for each teaching position.
Major thematic areas include:
- Theory and History of Material Culture
- Contemporary Strategies and Problems in Conveying Material Culture
- Aesthetics: Clothing, Body, Fashion
- Textiles and Sustainability
- A high degree of motivation to work in a branch of cultural studies
- An interest in theoretical and explorative-practical debates in material culture
- An interest in working with textiles and clothing
- A willingness to experiment and attentiveness to aesthetic and cultural developments
- Happiness with developing one's own analytical approaches and questions, as well as self-organised, project based team work
- Readiness and self initiative
- A good knowledge of English (reading technical literature)
German Language Proficiency
You can proof your German language proficiency with the following language certificates:
- DSH: Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (Level 2)
- TestDaF: Test – Deutsch als Fremdsprache (with level 4 in all four areas)
The proof of language proficiency must be presented for the enrolment. For other proof possiblities see: Language requirements
The Bachelor’s degree forms a basis for the consecutive, interdisciplinary Master's programmes of EMMIR (European Master in Migration and Intercultural Relations), "Cultural Analysis" (with practical research elements) or "Museum and Exhibition" (with elements relating to practical museum work).
This bachelor's programme Material Culture: Textiles can also lead to a teaching career. It can be connected to a Master of Education in the school subject 'Designing Textiles'. This is offered with qualification options for the Grundschule, Hauptschule, Realschule, and for Special Needs Education (Sonderpädagogik), and it qualifies graduates for the Referendariat.
Entrance examination for Material Culture: Textiles
Applicants must pass an entrance examination. The entrance examination consists of a personal interview.
Material Culture: Textiles - Entrance examination - application deadline 30th September.
Please note also the special admission requirements of the admission regulations.
This is an open admissions degree course, and application is only possible in the winter semester.
The application deadline for the winter semester is 15 October.
In addition, there is an entrance qualification procedure which ends on 30 September of the year of admission. For this purpose, please fill out the form (only in German available).
The application deadline may depend on the second subject if admission is restricted.