W3 1-166


Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg
Fakultät V - Mathematik und Naturwissenschaften
Carl-von-Ossietzky-Str. 9-11
26129 Oldenburg

Ombudsman: Conciliation Committee

Complaint management of the faculty V

Dear students,

In everyday university life, situations may arise in which you feel that you have been treated unfairly. This could concern, for example, the assessment of examination results, the behavior of a lecturer or the amount of work required for a course. In such cases, we offer you independent, confidential, neutral and appreciative support to resolve the conflicts. Confidentiality here means that your name will not be disclosed to anyone else involved in the conflict, if you so desire. However, you must disclose your name to us; we do not process anonymous complaints.

If you have specific questions about studying with a child at our university, we recommend the following for initial information:

Step 1: Seek conversation - avoid escalation

We advise you to always start by talking to the person with whose behavior you disagree. Many things can be resolved at this level. It can be useful to involve another person you trust in such a discussion; this can also be a member of the student council, for example. The respective student council can also be a first point of contact with whom you can discuss the problem. You can find the student representatives of Faculty V here.

Step 2: When conversations do not continue

If the conversation with the person in question does not progress or is unconstructive in your eyes, you should first contact the next higher level. Depending on the problem situation, you should try get the appropriate feedback and also have complaint options in the order indicated:

If there are problems in the area of "active participation," "regular attendance," or "curricular sequence"

  1. Person(s) responsible for the module (always indicated in the module description)
  2. Institute management (see homepage of the institute)

If your problem relates to a specific module or course

  1. Person(s) responsible for the module (always indicated in the module description)
  2. Head of the institute (see homepage of the institute)
  3. Dean of studies

If you disagree with a module grade

Here, too, you should first seek a discussion with the lecturer. Grades must be justified; the notification of the grade is an administrative act against which you can file an appeal. The examination boards for the respective degree program are responsible for this; you can contact them via the examination office.

Translated with (free version)

If you disagree with a particular teacher's behavior toward you

e.g. behavior in a consultation hour, behavior as a supervisor of a thesis, accessibility of the teacher, grading of an examination performance takes an excessively long time, etc.:

  1. Institute management (see homepage of the institute)   
  2. Dean of studies

If you feel sexually harassed or discriminated against because of your sexual orientation, gender or in any other way in connection with your studies at Faculty V

conTakt: Counseling center on issues of sexualized discrimination at the University of Oldenburg, e-mail:

or to the equal opportunity representative of the faculty/institute.

If you wish to complain about a person who is named as a contact person on this page, please contact the "next higher" instance in each case.

Complaints that lie outside the area of responsibility of Faculty V should be addressed directly to the complaints management of the relevant organizational unit.

Complaints in the area of study and teaching of Faculty V can also be addressed to the Dean of Studies, Prof. Dr. Gerhard Zotz, or to the student members of the Study Commission in order to discuss possible solutions.

(Changed: 19 Jan 2024)  | 
Zum Seitananfang scrollen Scroll to the top of the page