Advisor for international students
Advisor for international doctoral candidates and researchers
Face-to-face office hours
Apply for the study preparation INSTEP
In order to participate in the INSTEP study preparation, an assesment of your university entrance qualification is necessary.
Please go to uni assist for this.
- On the left you will find search criteria. Please enter the search term INSTEP.
- The course catalogue will list „Study Preparation for Refugees (INSTEP)" in the middle of the website.
- Please click on "select".
- Are you already registered with uni-assist? If so, please log in with your email and password. If you are not registered yet with uni-assist, please do so by clicking on “Create new account”.
- Please fill in the required information and upload all necessary documents (Originals and their respective certified translation in either German or English):
- school leaving certificate
- transcripts of academic studies
- if applicable Bachelor’s or Master’s certificate
- refugee status document (Duldung, Aufenthaltsgestattung, Aufenthaltserlaubnis) issued during the last 3 years by the German Foreign Office
Please note that in order to participate successfully in the programme, you need to have completed German language courses at level A2.
You can find more information about the application via uni-assist here: uni-assist – Information for refugees
Please submit your application by 15 Juli for the winter semester or 15 January for the summer semester! The application costs 75 euros.
We recommend to apply as early as possible before the deadline.
What happens after the application?
Uni-assist checks whether you can study in Germany with the documents you have submitted. If uni-assist gives us positive feedback, you will receive an invitation to take the German proficiency test.
The German proficiency test is an online placement test in which you have to show that you have at least a basic knowledge of German at level B1. The test takes place in March and September. You can register using the link that will be sent to you after you have applied. After the proficiency test exam, you will receive further information as to whether we can accept you.
As a guest student, you can take part in open courses at the University of Oldenburg. However, guest students are not enrolled students and do not receive a semester ticket. If we can accept you, we will register you for the guest student programme.
Please note that places are limited and we cannot guarantee you a place in the study preparation.
Shortly before the start of the semester there is the Welcome Week. Here you will learn a lot of interesting facts about the university, the campus and you can get to know other international people. The International Office also offers many events for international students during the semester. Come and visit us!
Did you get a place in the study preparation? Great, then we can start now. In addition to the preparatory German courses, there are many other offers and workshops that you can attend.
If you take courses from at least three areas during your study preparation, you will subsequently receive the Certificate Study techniques for international students.