Clara Liehmann

A15 0-006

You can reach me by phone Tuesday und Thursday.

+49 441 798 2697

Study preparation INSTEP

For more information please go to our websites of the Study preparation INSTEP.

You can only register for the German proficiency test for preparatory German courses at the link given in the admission letter sent to you by the Admissions Office.

Please note that applicants for certain degree programmes (e.g. Medicine, M.A. German as a Foreign Language, M.A. German Studies, PHM and for international degree programmes) are not eligible for the preparatory German language course.

Preparatory German courses - INSTEP

The University of Oldenburg offers the study preparation INSTEP  for university applicants. Part of the study preparation are the preparatory German courses with the aim of obtaining the DSH certificate (German language examination for university entrance).

Entry: for winter or summer semester, entry possible with B1, B2 or C1
Duration: 1-3 semesters depending on entry level
DSH: July or February, after C1 examination course
Costs: Participants are enrolled and pay the valid semester fee
Prerequisite: Application to the University of Oldenburg and passing of the German proficiency test


How can I apply for the preparatory German courses?

You can apply online for a place to study at the University of Oldenburg via uni assist e.V.
The application must be accompanied by a certificate of attendance of at least level B1 or an official German certificate (e.g. Goethe, telc) of at least level A2.

Please note that verification by uni-assist can take 4-6 weeks.

Please contact the Admissions Office of the University of Oldenburg for further information on the application procedure.

If your application is accepted, you will receive an invitation to the German proficiency test.

When can I apply?

For the winter semester, you can apply from 15 May until 15 July.

For the summer semester, you can apply from 15 November until 15 January.

What is the German proficiency test and how do I register for it?

The German proficiency test is an online test in which you must demonstrate that your knowledge of German is equivalent to at least a level of B1.

If your application is accepted, you will receive a preliminary admission letter from the Admissions Office. You can find a link to the online registration for the German proficiency test here. Please only use this link.

After registering, you will be informed of the time and place of the German proficiency test.

If you have any questions or problems, please contact


What happens after the German proficiency test?

You will receive an email with your result a few days after the examination.

If you pass the test, you will then receive more information about your course and enrolment.
If you do not pass the German proficiency test, you will not receive a place on the course and cannot be enrolled. In this case, please contact the Admissions Office to clarify further procedures.

Please note that course places are limited and therefore cannot always be guaranteed even if you pass the test.



How much is the course fee?

Applicants have to be enrolled and pay the valid semester fee in order to take part in the preparatory German courses. There are no further course fees.

I already have been awarded a B2 certificate. Can I participate in the examination course C1?

No, we will test every applicant's German knowledge in the German proficiency test. You will be placed in the course according to the test results.

Can I participate, even if I haven't applied as a student at the University of Oldenburg?

Unfortunately, we don't have the capacity to accept external participants at the moment.

How does the German proficiency test work?

After registering, you will be informed in more detail about the German proficiency test.

If I don't pass the German proficiency test, can I attend another German course at the University of Oldenburg?

Below level B1, we offer German courses during the semester for students of the University of Oldenburg. These courses take place twice a week. Participation as an external student is possible but is not recommended as intensive courses are better to prepare for your studies. As an external participant you won't be enrolled.

(Changed: 2021-10-05)