International students - application
Admission of international students (Admissions office)
Bachelor and Medicine (State Examination)
Master and adaptation course (teacher training)
Advisors for international students (International Office)
Student exchange (Erasmus+)
Netiquette for requests by e-mail [pdf]
For personal enquiries please have your student ID or application number ready on hand.
International students - application
International applicants must follow other procedures than German applicants.
If you have an international university entrance qualification ("HZB") or a first university degree from outside of Germany, most applications are handled by the service organisation "uni-assist e.V.", which cooperates with our admissions office:
Studying for degree seekings - application through uni-assist
Application through uni-assist
All applicants who received their prior education abroad should apply online through uni-assist.
This category includes:
- International students
- EU students
- Students affiliated with a programme (e.g. DAAD scholarship recipients)
- Germans who received their prior education abroad
- China, Vietnam and (from summer semester 2023) India: True copies by the German embassy have to be submitted by mail. Original APS Certificate has to be submitted as well.
Application directly to the University of Oldenburg
The following groups, who may apply directly to the university:
- Students who received their prior education in Germany (with German educational credentials enabling direct entry to higher education or a German university degree)
- Applicants for the programme European Master in Renewable Energy as well as ERASMUS-Mundus programmes (EMMIR, EWEM).
Preparatory German courses / INSTEP study preparation for international students
INSTEP study preparation for international students
Those who do not yet have sufficient German language skills for the subject studies, but have completed at least the A2 level, have the option of joining the INSTEP study preparation programme.
Language requirements for German
INSTEP study preparation programme
In addition to intensive preparatory German language courses, the study preparation programme includes other courses on academic work and preparation for university studies. The study preparation programme ends with the German language examination for university entrance (DSH).
How do I take part in the INSTEP study preparation programme? How do I apply for it?
Apply via uni-assist for the Bachelor's/Master's degree programme you are aiming for later. (No study preparation is offered for the State Examination degree programme.)
You can apply for the winter and summer semesters. (Apply in the summer semester for the 2nd semester if no 1st semester is offered.)
Please note the earlier application deadlines for INSTEP regardless of the degree programme
- 15 January for the summer semester
- 15 July for the winter semester
If your application is successful, you will receive an invitation to our German proficiency test. If you pass this and there are enough places, you can be enrolled.
Am I a regular student during the INSTEP study preparation?
During the INSTEP study preparation, you will be enrolled as a regular student (and pay the regular semester contribution). However, you are not entitled to the affordable (statutory) health insurance for students and must arrange other insurance during this time (e.g. private or voluntary statutory health insurance).
Study programmes for which no preparatory German courses are offered:
- State Examination degree programme in Medicine
- Bachelor's degree programme in Pedagogic acting in migration society
- Bachelor's degree programme in Engineering Physics
- Master's degree programme in German Studies
- Master's degree programme German as a Foreign Language/German as a Second Language
- English-Language degree programmes