Navigation

Contact

Kim Braun
Room B 221
Phone 0441 798-4025
kim.braun(ategmf)uni-oldenbuqv/rg.dxdeuq (kim.branutun@urt9rxol.v8+de)

Info Flyer

Info on the Open-Access Publication Fund

Funding

Open Access Publication Fund

The German Science Foundation (DFG) continues to co-finance the Carl von Ossietzky University's Open Access Publication Fund in 2020/2021. Scientists and scholars can apply for funding of the APCs for their open-access publications.
The Library and Information System (BIS) manages the fund and is your contact for open-access questions.

Information on individual publishers (BioMed Central, PLOS et al.) is available on the Open access in scientific journals page.

Requirements

To qualify for funding, the following requirements have to be met

  • The author is a member of the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg and
  • either "submitting" or "corresponding author", and
  • the journal is a "pure" open-access journal, i.e. all articles are open access immediately and fully at the time of their publication, and
  • a peer review guarantees the journal's articles' quality, and
  • APCs are not higher than 2,000 Euros (incl. VAT).

Be aware that all of these criteria have to be met to qualify for financial support!

Procedures

In principle, APCs can be paid in three different ways:

  1. The BIS holds a deposit at an open-access publisher (e.g. BioMed Central) that is used to finance APCs. Authors should notify the BIS of their intention to publish in an open-access journal to receive an submission code that identifies them as a member of the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg. When using this code a discount of 20% may apply.
  2. The BIS is the central-billing address for an open-access publisher (e.g. Frontiers), who sends APC invoices to the BIS. The abovementioned criteria are checked and APCs paid, if all criteria are met.
  3. Should the BIS not have any business relation with the open-access publisher, authors may submit their APC invoices to BIS after publication of their article. If all criteria are met, the stated amount will be paid from the fund.

For detailed information and questions feel free to contact the person listed at the top of the page.

Changes as of 2020

As of Jan 1, 2020, the DFG finances 40% of the open access publication charges (APC). The university library and the resp. authors share the remaining 60% in equal parts. The presidential board contributes 10,000 Euros and security in case of an over-subscription up to 40,000 Euros.

In principle, the author's share is 30% of the APC due for an article publication. The libray will require expense and transaction account numbers for the transfer. (Working groups, institutes, departments and faculties are naturally free and welcome to finance the author's share.)

As the university library is currently not subscribing any Elsevier Journal due to the ongoing DEAL negotiations, funds are available to use for an author's share in the APC. These funds are only avilable to authors who are directly affected by the statius quo.

[BIS intern]   BIkfqqS-Webmastetc24erizus (bis.wejqbredaktion@unit/-oldenbn8mcurg.cm7de) (Changed: 2020-04-08)