Award for Excellence in Teaching
Dr. Simone Schipper
In order to advance commitment to teaching and student learning, the University of Oldenburg has established the Award for Excellence in Teaching.
The award honors instructors for their outstanding and innovative teaching concepts and is presented by the Vice President for Instruction and International Affairs. Winners are chosen by the university-wide jury consisting of faculty and student representatives from all schools as well as one member of University Society Oldenburg e.V. (UGO).
Only students can nominate candidates for the award.
The only exception is the category Class Evaluation. Faculty members and instructors can nominate themselves by submitting their course evaluation.
In academic year 2019/20, the Award for Excellence in Teaching will be given in three categories:
- Best Class
- Research Based Learning
- Digital Media in Teaching and Learning
You can nominate courses that were taught in Winter Semester 2019/2020 and Summer Semester 2020.
For detailed information about the categories, please refer to this document.
There is an additional award for Best Class Evaluation. Faculty members can apply for this award by submitting their course evaluation.
How can students submit nominations?
- What class would you like to nominate and in what category (Best Class, Research-Based Learning or Digital Media in Teaching and Learning)? For category guidelines, descriptions and criteria, please refer to this document.
- Fill out and submit the online form. At least two students have to sign each nomination (you will have to enter the names and email addresses when filling out the online form).
- Students can submit their nominations by September 3, 2020.
Information for nominated faculty members
- We will notify you in writing if your class has been nominated.
- You will be asked to submit your course outline via email to Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (hochsssdchuldidak
ukbh) by October 2, 2020.
The jury chooses this year’s winners based on student nominations and course outlines submitted by nominated instructors.
The 2020 awards will be presented at a ceremony on Thursday, November 26, 2020, at the BIS-Hall at the University Library.
The award in each category comes with prize money sponsored by the Office of the Vice President for Instruction and International Affairs and other donors.
Students who submit nominations automatically enter the lottery for a €150 book voucher.
This year’s Award for Excellence in Teaching features an aditional category: the award for outstanding class evaluation regardless of course size or format.
How can faculty members be considered for the award?
If you taught a class in Winter Semester 2019/20 or Summer Semester 2020, you can send us an email (hochsssdchuldidak
ukbh) with your class evaluation by 30 September 2020 to express your interest in being considered for the award.
If you have any further questions, please contact Dr. Simone Schipper (Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, hochsssdchuldidak
ukbh) or Dr. Nicola Albrecht (Internal Surveys, firstname.lastname@example.org/pde).