Department for Research and Technology Transfer

Dr. Julia Anna Matz
Officer for Early Career Researchers with a focus on Doctoral Candidates and International Issues

+49 (0)441-798 4286

Registration, Admission, and Enrollment

Registration, Admission, and Enrollment

When beginning to work on your PhD you should sign a supervision agreement (Betreuungsvereinbarung) with your supervisor and have it signed by the chair of the doctoral studies committee (Promotionsausschussvorsitzende) as early as possible (the supervision agreement is an attachment to the doctoral regulations). With the help of this signed supervision agreement you receive the status of a "registered" doctoral candidate (angenommene Promovendin or angenommener Promovend). Registered doctoral candidates should enroll (immatrikulieren); especially considering issues related to insurances enrolling early is advised. Furthermore, early admission (Zulassung) is advised as the requirements for admission are only checked upon admission not upon registration in most schools (in some schools registration and admission are linked and located at the beginning of the PhD).

As the prerequisites and regulations including the supervision agreement differ between schools and doctoral degree, you should consult the respective doctoral regulations. Regarding registration and admission you should contact the school (supervisor and secretariat), regarding enrollment you should contact the Immatrikulationsamt.

Depending on personal preference, subject, and the school's regulations an individual doctorate (Individualpromotion) or a doctorate within a structured doctoral degree programme may be an option. Should you do your PhD within a doctoral degree programme you should mention this during enrollment. A list of the doctoral degree programmes of the University of Oldenburg is available here; the Graduate School for the Social Sciences and the Humanities (3GO) and the Graduate School Science, Medicine and Technology (OLTECH) offer the frame for the structured doctoral degree programmes at the University of Oldenburg.

(Changed: 2021-04-30)