Advisor for international students (International Office)

Katja Kaboth-Larsen

+49 (0)441 798-4783

Getting or renewing your residence permit

If you are from country that is not a member of the European Union, you need a residence permit to study in Germany, even if you did not need a visa to enter the country.

To obtain or renew your residence permit, you need to make an appointment with the Welcome Center (City's Foreign Residents' Office). Please arrange your appointment well in advance (two months prior to expiration/ within 90 days after your arrival in Germany).

For your appointment you will need to bring the following documents:

  1. A current confirmation of your health insurance. If you are enrolled in the public health insurance system, contact your provider and let them issue a letter to you which states that you are currently a member there; the health insurance card is not enough. If you have private health insurance, you need to extend your insurance so that it covers the entire period for which you want to have a residence permit. Then you need to show proof of this to the Welcome Center (Foreign Residents' Office).
  2. A proof of funding for your studies (copy of the document), e.g. a letter from your bank that confirms you have a locked bank account with a restriction ("Sperrvermerk") covering over 10,236 euros/year (12 x 853 Euro/month), a formal obligation letter or a scholarship confirmation. If you can prove that the rental and incidental rental costs of your accommodation are lower than 325 euros, the amount of the funding proof will be reduced.
  3. Your national passport.
  4. A current confirmation of enrolment (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung)
  5. A fee of around 100 euros (for the first residence permit) or up to 80 euros (for each renewal), unless you finance your stay with a scholarship
  6. A biometric passport photograph
  7. "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung", a proof of residential address has to be filled in by your landlord or your landlord's representative (e.g. the property manager or "Hausverwalter") and serves as proof of your current residential address in Oldenburg. Please note that if you move to a new place in Oldenburg or to a new city in Germany, you need to inform the Welcome Center.

The Welcome Center (Foreign Residents' Office) is situated in the New Town Hall building at Pferdemarkt 14 on the ground floor in room A 007.

Fix an appointment via the online-form (in German language)

IO-Wr62ziebvwmasternq ( (Changed: 2020-04-15)