Advisors for international students (International Office)

Katja Kaboth-Larsen

+49 (0)441 798-4783

Christine Trappe


Boris Pohl

+49 (0)441 798-4846

Availability by phone
Monday – Friday 10–14

Online office hours
Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10–11 in our virtual meeting room (BigBlueButton)

For enrolled students we offer a community forum in Stud.IP (IO.003 International Students)

Corona crisis: information for international students

Getting or renewing your residence permit

If you are from a country that is not a member of the European Union, you need a residence permit to study in Germany, even if you did not need a visa to enter the country.

To obtain or renew your residence permit, you need to make an appointment with the Hochschulservice (City of Oldenburg's Foreign Residents' Office). Please arrange your appointment well in advance (two months prior to expiration/ within 90 days after your arrival in Germany).

For your appointment you will need to bring the following documents:

  1. A current confirmation of your health insurance. If you are enrolled in the public health insurance system, contact your provider and let them issue a letter to you which states that you are currently a member there; the health insurance card is not enough. If you have private health insurance, you need to extend your insurance so that it covers the entire period for which you want to have a residence permit. Then you need to show proof of this to the Hochschulservi ce (Foreign Residents' Office).
  2. A proof of funding for your studies (copy of the document), e.g. a letter from your bank that confirms you have a locked bank account with a restriction ("Sperrvermerk") covering over EUR 10,332 per year (12 x EUR 861 per month), a formal obligation letter or a scholarship confirmation. If you can prove that the rental and incidental rental costs of your accommodation are lower than EUR 325, the amount of the funding proof will be reduced.
  3. Your national passport.
  4. A current confirmation of enrolment (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung)
  5. A fee of around EUR 100 (for the first residence permit) or up to EUR 93 or 98 (for each renewal). If you finance your stay with a scholarship, the Hochschulservice will check whether a fee exemption can be applied.
  6. A biometric passport photograph

The Hochschulservice (Foreign Residents' Office) is situated in the New Town Hall building at Pferdemarkt 14 (rooms A018/ A019).

Fix an appointment via e-mail at

(Changed: 2021-06-30)