Programme coordinator

Dr. Kerstin Bleichner

Frequently Asked Questions (for applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions (for applicants)

What are my career options with the degree?

The programme prepares you for a career in research and thus as a first step for entering a PhD programme in the broad area of cognitive neuroscience. Depending on the chosen modules and projects it also prepares for work in applied settings like data science, human computer interaction or medical technology companies and, with limitations by national legal regulations, for work as clinical neuropsychologist (please note the elaborate information on clinical work in the FAQ section).

About 50% of our graduates continue with a PhD; most of the others work in the clinical field. A few graduates work in medical writing, data science or science management.

Almost all graduates find a job either already before they graduate or within a few months after graduation.

Can I work as a clinical neuropsychologist after I completed the programme?

Many of our graduates work in clinics and rehabilitation centres as neuropsychologists. In Germany, they find these jobs without additional postgraduate qualifications if they speak German fluently. If you intend to work in other countries, you need to inform yourself whether they have specific legal requirements to work as clinical neuropsychologist.

Importantly, it was decided in May 2021 that clinical neuropsychology (next to psychotherapy for adults and adolescents) will be included into the training for psychotherapists. This means that students, who want to work as clinical neuropsychologists in Germany in the future, will have to study a Master's degree with a focus in clinical psychology and psychotherapy that will end with a psychotherapeutical licence. They will afterwards follow a specialisation to become a certified neuropsychotherapist. Our programme does not fulfill the requirements for a psychotherapeutical licence. 
Currently, it is not known when and if clinical neuropsychology will become a legally protected profession which includes a professional specialisation for neuropsychotherapy building upon a Master's degree in clinical psychology. Thus, it is not clear whether our graduates will still be hired by clinics without a psychotherapeutical licence in the far future.

Please also note our information on the current psychotherapy training.

The training as clinical neuropsychologist offered by the Gesellschaft für Neuropsychologie (GNP) which provides professionalization to working neuropsychologists also without a psychotherapeutical licence will be offered until 2032. Professionals who follow this training are not allowed to work without formal supervision by a certified psychotherapist or doctor. They can also not balance accounts for their treatments with health insurance agencies.

I want to enter a training to become a certified psychotherapist in Germany, can I do that after finishing this programme?

Please note that the programme is not designed for broad training in clinical psychology. We offer only a few modules in clinical psychology and psychological diagnostics. Due to current (legal) developments in the field, it will be difficult to enter a postgraduate training to become a certified psychotherapist in several states in Germany even if you completed a Bachelor's degree in Psychology. The post-graduate training can only be started for sure in Lower Saxony. Currently, the state of Saxony also allowed the admission to the postgraduate training. The training must be completed latest on September 1st, 2032. Please be aware that this training takes at least 3 years full-time or 5 years part-time. Many students take even longer!

Students, who started their Bachelor's degree after September 1st, 2020, cannot start a postgraduate training in psychotherapy in Germany when completing our Master's programme!

I am interested in the programme. Can I attend some classes before I apply?

Unfortunately, attending classes is usually not possible before you are a registered student.

We welcome all interested students to attend our student symposia in April and October each year where our students present posters from their research projects. You will get great insights into the research topics that we offer in our department and you will have ample opportunity to talk to students of our programme. For dates of the symposia, please check the events agenda on our homepage. You are welcome to attend without prior registration.

You can also watch some class videos online. Please contact the programme coordinator for login details to access these videos.

We also organize an online information event for students interested in the programme. If you want to receive an invitation by email, please also contact the programme coordinator.

When do courses begin?

Unlike institutes in many other countries, German universities run on a winter/summer schedule. The winter semester begins officially on 1st October; the summer semester on 1st April. Students can only be admitted to our programme for the winter semester.

Classes start mid-October.

You can find the dates of the lecture periods and semester breaks in the academic calender of the university.

academic calender

My admission letter lists additional classes for my studies. What does that mean?

If your admission letter lists additional classes that you have to study in Oldenburg, it means that your admission is conditional and it is NOT a full admission! Once you are in Oldenburg, you will have to study all listed classes and pass them in addition to the standard curriculum of the Master's programme. Please note, that the additional classes have to be studied in your first term immediately after arrival. They will not be offered in the summer term. If you do not pass the classes before the start of your second year, you will not be allowed to continue your studies.

We recommend that you contact the study coordinator Dr. Kerstin Bleichner before the lecture period starts to clarify all questions regarding your conditional admission.

Does it matter if I don’t speak German?

The Masters course is taught entirely in English and, if you wish to either start learning or improve your German, the university offers free language courses. Credit points from these can also be counted towards the “minor” requirement of the Master's programme.
Courses range from beginner level to academic writing classes for more advanced speakers- placement tests (for every level except beginner) are available at the start of each semester. See the language centre website for more information:

language centre

Do you accredit former study periods and work experience?

Modules from prior studies or competencies from work experience can be accredited towards the Master's degree if they are comparable to the competencies you will gain in our modules. Please contact the Student Service Center for help with this recognition. The PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition) project makes the accreditation of work experience transparent for students and the university. 



How much are tuition and fees?

There are no tuition fees at German universities. There is a university fee of approximately 400 EUR per term which includes the "Semesterticket" for free public transport, low priced food at the cafeteria, free theater, a discount on cinema tickets and using the bike repair shop. All students have to pay this fee.

Details on semester contributions

What costs should I take into account when moving to Germany?

Renting a room in one of the halls of residence costs around 180-350€ per month (including utilities) depending on the size of the room and facilities available. Rooms in a private shared apartment (Wohngemeinschaft, or WG, in German) tend to be more expensive.
Public transportation within Oldenburg and the surrounding area is free with your Semesterticket, which is included in the semester fees.
It should also be noted that health insurance is a requirement for all students, though you may already be covered by insurance from your home country or, for EU citizens, an EHIC card. German health insurance will cost approximately 80€ per month, depending on factors such as age and other background information.
Average total monthly expenses for students in Germany are 700-850€ according to the DAAD, although this varies significantly with individual spending habits. This would include rent, insurance, university fees, food and drink as well as recreation.
To make payments (including university fees) easier, it may be useful to open a German bank account- this is usually free for students, as are cash withdrawals. In order to apply, you are likely to need ID, confirmation of university enrolment and evidence of being registered as a citizen in Oldenburg.

I need a scholarship: Where can I find information?

Unfortunately, we cannot directly offer scholarships for our programme. However, there are plenty of scholarship possibilities from foundations, the university, the DAAD etc. Please refer to the following website to find more information on scholarships and links to scholarship databases.

information on scholarships

When do I need to provide the final Bachelor's certificate?

The final Bachelor's certificate is needed by 1st April the year after enrolment.

As an international student, how should I apply for the course?

Students who have completed a Bachelor's degree outside of Germany have to apply through The application period runs from 1st May - 31st May for non-EU students and 1st May - 15 July for EU students. EU students are strongly advised to submit their documents early, by 15th June.

Those who have previously studied in Germany can apply directly to the university. The application period runs from 1st June - 15th July at the university.

How can I find accomodation in Oldenburg?

The student union (Studentenwerk) owns and runs several different student accommodation buildings around the city. Although student rooms in Germany are typically rented unfurnished, the Studentenwerk also provides furnished rooms for international students at affordable rates. They also help with finding private accomodation for international students.

There are also several ways to find private accommodation including:

  • local newspapers, e.g. the NWZ
  • Websites like, where apartment listings can be narrowed down by desired criteria, such as number of flatmates or facilities available
  • The Schwarzes Brett (“blackboard”) on Stud.IP and several boards in the Mensa building on campus (if you are still looking once you arrive in Oldenburg)




What kind of documents/permits (e.g. visas) would I need to study in Germany?

Students from within the EU, the EEA or Switzerland do not need a visa to study in Germany. Those coming from other countries should apply for a visa at the German consulate in their home country. If this applies to you, you will also need to apply for a residence permit from the Ausländerbüro (Foreign Office) in Oldenburg.
All international students (as well as those coming from within Germany) have to register as a citizen of Oldenburg within 1 week of their arrival at the Bürgerbüro (Citizen’s Office).

Who can help me as an international student with organisational issues?

For help regarding the study programme, please contact our coordinator Dr. Kerstin Bleichner.

Application information for international students can be obtained from the admissions office. Send an email to admission.master(at)

For questions specific to international students, you should contact the International Office (IO).

The IO runs a welcome week for international students at the beginning of the academic year. In addition to numerous social events, they also provide information about:

  • Enrolment at the university and registering as a citizen in Oldenburg
  • Study facilities, an introduction to the library and online Stud.IP systems
  • Cultural aspects of living in Germany
  • Support services and societies

You can also sign up for a newsletter and the facebook group from the IO.

Another source of help when you arrive is the “buddy” program- German students who are already settled in Oldenburg volunteer their time to help new international students. This help includes, but is not limited to: signing into accommodation, showing you around the city and finding the nearest facilities (e.g. supermarkets)

Admissions office


Buddy programme

Where can I find more information?

There is a great deal of general advice for foreign students available on the following websites:

(Changed: 13 Feb 2023)  | 
Zum Seitananfang scrollen Scroll to the top of the page