Steven van de Par
Steven van de Par
- Basic and Applied Psycho Acoustics
- Machine Listening
- Technical Acoustics
- Vibration Perception
University Professor and head of the Acoustics group at the Institute of Physics at the Carl-von-Ossietzky University in Oldenburg, Germany.
|2009 - 2010|
Principal Scientist at Philips Research Europe in the Digital Signal Processing Group
|2000 - 2009|
Senior Scientist at Philips Research Europe in the Digital Signal Processing Group
|1998 - 2000|
Postdoc at the Institute for Perception Research (IPO) in Eindhoven studying the perception of auditory-visual synchrony.
|1994 - 1998|
Ph.D. project titled: “A comparison of binaural detection at low and high frequencies.”
|1985 - 1992|
Study in physics at the Eindhoven University of Technology
List of selected publications
1. S. Töpken, S. van de Par, (2019) “Perceptual dimensions of fan noise and their relationship to indexes based on the specific loudness,” ACTA ACUSTICA UNITED WITH ACUSTICA, Vol. 105(1), pp. 195—209.
2. D. Maiberger, U. Letens, R. Weber, S. van de Par, (2018), “Individual Influences on the Evaluation of Vehicle Sounds: A Typology of Premium Car Drivers with Regard to Their Attitude Towards Cars and Sounds,” ACTA ACUSTICA UNITED WITH ACUSTICA
Vol. 104(3), pp. 509—520
3. D. Hermes, and S. van de Par, (1999) “Perception, soundscapes, and science,” at the soundscapes festival “Soundscapes be)for(e 2000,” Amsterdam, pp. 91-93
Virtual Acoustics and Audio Reproduction and Coding
4. J. Grosse, S. van de Par, (2017), “A Speech Preprocessing Method Based on Overlap-Masking Reduction to Increase Intelligibility in Reverberant Environments,” J. Audio Eng. Soc., Vol. 65(1-2), pp. 31-41
5. J. Grosse, S. van de Par, (2015), “Perceptually Accurate Reproduction of Recorded Sound Fields in a Reverberant Room Using Spatially Distributed Loudspeakers,” IEEE JOURNAL OF SELECTED TOPICS IN SIGNAL PROCESSING, Vol. 9(5), pp. 867-880
6. T. Wendt, S. van de Par, S.D. Ewert, (2014), “A Computationally-Efficient and Perceptually-Plausible Algorithm for Binaural Room Impulse Response Simulation,” J. Audio. Eng. Soc., Vol. 62, pp. 748-766
7. R. Kruse, A. Häußler, S. van de Par, (2013), “An omnidirectional loudspeaker based on a ring-radiator,” Applied Acoustics, Vol. 74 (12), pp. 1374-1377
8. A. Harma, S. van de Par, W. de Bruijn, (2008), “On the use of directional speakers to create a sound source close to the listener,” 124th AES convention, Amsterdam
Basic Psychoacoustics and Multi-Sensory Perception
9. J. Grosse, S. van de Par, C. Trahiotis, (2017), “Stimulus coherence influences sound-field localization and fusion/segregation of leading and lagging sounds,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 141(4), pp. 2673-2680
10. E. Schoenmaker, T. Brand, S. van de Par, (2016), “The multiple contributions of interaural differences to improved speech intelligibility in multitalker scenarios,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 139, pp. 2589-2603
11. E. Schoenmaker, S. van de Par, (2016), “Intelligibility for Binaural Speech with Discarded Low-SNR Speech Components,” Advances in experimental medicine and biology, Vol. 894, pp. 73-81
12. D. K. Reed, M. Dietz, A. Josupeit, S. van de Par, (2016), “Lateralization of stimuli with alternating interaural time differences: the role of monaural envelope cues,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 139(1), pp. 30-40
13. C. Mendonça, A. Escher, S. van de Par, H. Colonius, (2015), “Predicting auditory space calibration from recent multisensory experience,” EXPERIMENTAL BRAIN RESEARCH Vol. 233(7), pp. 1983-1991
14. A. Kohlrausch, R. van Eijk, J.F. Juola, I. Brandt, S. van de Par, (2013), “Apparent causality affects perceived simultaneity,” Atten. Percept. and Psychopys., Vol. 75, pp. 1366-1373
15. R. van Eijk, A. Kohlrausch, J. Juola, S. van de Par, (2008), “Audio-visual synchrony and temporal order judgments, Effects of experimental method and stimulus type” Perception and Psychophysics, Vol. 70, pp. 955-968
16. J. Breebaart, S. van de Par, and A. Kohlrausch, (2001), “Binaural processing model based on contralateral inhibition. I. Model setup,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 110, 1074-1088.
17. S. van de Par, and A. Kohlrausch, (1999) “Dependence of binaural masking level differences on center frequency, masker bandwidth and interaural parameters,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 106, pp. 1940-1947
18. L.R. Bernstein, S. van de Par, and C. Trahiotis, (1999) "The normalized interaural correlation: Accounting for NoS thresholds obtained with Gaussian and 'low-noise' masking noise," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 106, pp. 870-876
19. S. van de Par, and A. Kohlrausch, (1997) “A new approach to comparing binaural masking level differences at low and high frequencies,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 101, pp. 1671-1680
20. A. Kohlrausch, R. Fassel, M. van der Heijden, R. Kortekaas, S. van de Par, A. Oxenham, and D. Püschel, (1997) “Detection of tones in low-noise noise: Further evidence for the role of envelope fluctuations,” Acustica united with Acta Acustica, Vol. 83, pp. 659-669
21. S. van de Par, and A. Kohlrausch, (1995) “Analytical expressions for the envelope correlation of certain narrow-band stimuli,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 98, pp. 3157-3169. This paper was reprinted in 1999 in The MLD: A collection of Seminal Papers organized by William A. Yost and Constantine Trahiotis, Parmly Hearing Institute (Chicago).
Computational Auditory Scene Analysis, Audio Analysis and Processing
22. A. Novello, S. van de Par, M.F. McKinney, A. Kohlrausch, (2013), “Algorithmic prediction of inter-song similarity in Western popular music,“ Journal of New Music Research, pp. 1-19
23. T. May, S. van de Par, A. Kohlrausch, (2012), “A Binaural Scene Analyzer for Joint Localization and Recognition of Speakers in the Presence of Interfering Noise Sources and Reverberation,“ IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Proc., Vol. 20 (7), pp. 2016-2030
24. J. Breebaart, G. Hotho, J. Koppens, E. Schuijers, W. Oomen, S. van de Par, (2007), “Background, concept and architecture for the recent MPEG Surround standard on multi-channel audio compression,” J. Audio Eng. Soc. Vol. 55, 331-351.
25. S. van de Par, A. Kohlrausch, R. Heusdens, J. Jensen, S.H. Jensen, (2005), “A Perceptual Model for Sinusoidal Audio Coding Based on Spectral Integration,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, Vol. 9, 1292–1304
26. J. Breebaart, S. van de Par, A. Kohlrausch, E. Schuijers, (2005), “Parametric Coding of Stereo Audio,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, Vol. 9, 1305–1322
27. S. van de Par, W.R.TH. ten Kate, A. Kohlrausch and A.J.M. Houtsma, (1994) “Bit-Rate Saving in Multichannel Sound: Using a Band-Limited Channel to Transmit the Center Signal”, J. Audio Eng. Soc., Vol. 42 No. 7/8, pp. 555-564
28. S. Disch, S. van de Par, A. Niedermeier, E. Burdiel-Pérez, A. Berasategui Ceberio, B. Edler, (2018), “Improved Psychoacoustic Model for Efficient Perceptual Audio Codecs,” AES Convention: 145, Paper number 10029
29. N. Behmann, C. Seifert, G. Paya-Vaya, H. Blume, P. Jääskeläinen, J. Multanen, H. Kultala, J. Takala, J. Thiemann, S. van de Par, (2016), “Customized high performance low power processor for binaural speaker localization,” IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems (ICECS), pp. 392 – 395
30. J. Thiemann, J. Lücke, S. van de Par, (2016), “Speaker tracking for hearing aids,” IEEE 26th International Workshop on Machine Learning for Signal Processing (MLSP), pp. 1 – 6
31. A. Heidemann Andersen, E. Schoenmaker, S. van de Par, (2016), “Speech intelligibility prediction as a classification problem,” IEEE 26th International Workshop on Machine Learning for Signal Processing (MLSP), pp. 1 - 6
32. T. May, S. van de Par, A. Kohlrausch, (2011), “Binaural detection of speech sources in complex acoustic scenes,” Presented at IEEE Workshop on Applications of Signal Processing to Audio and Acoustics (WASPAA), pp. 241-244
33. M. Pijl, S. van de Par, C. Shan, (2010), “An event-based approach to multi-modal activity modeling and recognition,” Eight Annual IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications, March 29 - April 2, Mannheim, Germany
34. S. van de Par, J. Koppens, A. Kohlrausch, W. Oomen, (2008), “A new perceptual model for audio coding based on spectro-temporal masking,” 124th AES convention, Amsterdam.
35. J. Skowronek, M.F. McKinney, S. van de Par, (2007), “A demonstrator for Automatic Music Mood Estimation,” In Proc. of the 8th Int. Conf. On Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR), Vienna.
36. S. van de Par, M.F. McKinney, A. Redert, (2006), “Musical Key Extraction from Audio using Profile Training,” In Proceeding of the ISMIR 2006; 7th Int. Conf. on Music Information Retrieval, Victoria, Canada