Staff until December 2016
1) Global change ecology: effects of global warming, nitrogen pollution, and land-use intensification
2) Plant diversity, ecosystem functions and services
3) Socioeconomics of traditional land use systems
4) Plant ecophysiology and chemical ecology
5) Nature conservation
2013 W3-Professorship Geobotany, University of Freiburg, list position 2
2010 W3-Professorship Landscape Ecology, University of Greifswald, list position 3
2010 Apl. Professor, University of Göttingen
2005 W1-Junior Professorship Vegetation Ecology, University of Greifswald, list position 2
2003 Habilitation (venia legendi in Botany), University of Göttingen
1997 - 2000 PhD study at the Department of Plant Ecology, Albrecht von Haller Institute for Plant Sciences, University of Göttingen
Degree obtained: Dr. rer. nat. (summa cum laude)
1991 - 1997 Study of biology at the University of Göttingen
Degree obtained: Dipl.-Biol. Univ.
2015 - 2016 Functional Ecology, Institute for Biology and Environmental Sciences, University of Oldenburg, Germany
2012 - 2015 Department of Plant Ecology, Albrecht von Haller Institute of Plant Sciences, University of Göttingen, Germany
2009 - 2012 Substitute Head ("Professurvertretung") of the Department of Plant Ecology, Albrecht von Haller Institute of Plant Sciences, University of Göttingen, Germany
2006 - 2009 Senior Lecturer ("Privatdozent") at the Department of Plant Ecology, Albrecht von Haller Institute of Plant Sciences, University of Göttingen, Germany
2001 - 2006 Senior Lecturer ("Privatdozent") at the Department of Plant Systematics, Albrecht von Haller Institute of Plant Sciences, University of Göttingen, Germany
2001 Postdoc at the University of Montana, Division of Biological Sciences, Missoula, Montana, U.S.A.
2000 Postdoc at the University at Albany, Atmospheric Sciences Research Center, Whiteface Mountain Field Station, Wilmington, New York, U.S.A.
1991 - dato Freelance Consultant for Ecology, Lichenology and Nature Conservation working for federal and state nature conservation and forest service agencies as well as private cooperations
1990 - 1991 Civilian service at the Dept. Plant Conservation, Agency of Nature Conservation, State of Lower Saxony, Hannover, Germany
Third-party funding received as first applicant, total 1.4 million EUR:
- Stemmler Foundation (Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft): Significance of old and decaying trees for plant diversity and biogeochemical cycles in montane conifer forests (2009-2013).
- Volkswagen Foundation: Forest regeneration and biodiversity at the forest-steppe border of the Altay and Khangay Mountains under contrasting developments of livestock numbers in Kazakhstan and Mongolia (2010-2016).
- German Science Foundation (DFG): "Carbon pools in spruce forests of the Qilian Mountains (north-eastern Tibetan Plateau) under the influence of global warming and land use" (2010-2014).
Third-party funding received as second applicant:
- The beech virgin forests of Slovakia: Biodiversity and ecosystem functions in a comparison of virgin and managed forest - Conclusions for protecting the beech forest heritage of Central Europe (with Prof. Dr. Ch. Leuschner) (2013-2016).
Associate Editor/Editorial Board member of Environmental Pollution (Impact Factor 4.1), AoB Plants (Impact Factor 2.3), Herzogia (Impact Factor 0.7), Mongolian Journal of Biological Sciences
Review for international journals: Advances in Botanical Research, Aquatic Toxicology, Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research, Atmospheric Environment, Antarctic Science, Australian Journal of Botany, Basic and Applied Ecology, Biological Trace Element Research, BMC Microbiology, Bryologist, Cell Biology International, Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology, Cladistics, Conservation Biology, Ecological Applications, Ecological Indicators, Ecoscience, Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, Environmental and Experimental Botany, Environmental Modelling and Assessment, Environmental Pollution, European Journal of Forest Research, Flora, Forest Ecology and Management, Functional Plant Biology, Fungal Ecology, Global Change Biology, Herzogia, Journal of Applied Ecology, Journal of Arid Environments, Journal of Bryology, Journal of Chemical Ecology, Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, Journal of Geophysical Research, Letters in Applied Microbiology, Lichenologist, Mycological Progress, New Phytologist, Oecologia, Phytochemistry, Planta, Plant Ecology, Plant Ecology and Diversity, Scandinavian Journal of Forest Science, Science of the Total Environment, Trees, Zeitschrift für Naturforschung.
2011 Società Lichenologica Italiana