Five scientists from Oldenburg elected into DFG Review Board
Birger Kollmeier From February on a member of the Board for Acoustics
Oldenburg. Expertise from Oldenburg for the German Research Foundation (DFG): Five scientists from the university will be contributing to the future of the DFG research funding. According to the preliminary election results, the computer scientist Prof. Dr. Susanne Boll-Westermann, the geoecologist Prof. Dr. Thorsten Dittmar, Prof. Dr. Gerd Hentschel from Slavic studies, the biologist Prof. Dr. Helmut Hillebrand and the physicist and physician Prof. Dr. Dr. Birger Kollmeier obtained the necessary votes in the nationwide election.
"The great score of the scientists from Oldenburg shows that they are well-respected in their research areas and other people trust their assessment," said Prof. Dr. Katharina Al-Shamery, vice president for research and transfer.
In the following four years, the five researchers will contribute their expertise to the DFG review boards, the most important advice councils for research funding in Germany. Those boards decide initially if applications for graduate schools or research units will be further recommended and thus shape the research priorities in the respective fields.
In the election in November, all scientists with a PhD in Germany were asked to elect their 613 representatives across the 48 review boards. The election period 2016 - 2019 starts in February 2016.
The following researchers from Oldenburg were elected:
- Prof. Dr. Susanne Boll-Westermann: Fachkollegium Informatik, Fach: Interaktive und intelligente Systeme, Bild- und Sprachverarbeitung, Computergraphik und Visualisierung
- Prof. Dr. Thorsten Dittmar: Fachkollegium Atmosphären-, Meeres- und Klimaforschung, Fach: Physik, Chemie und Biologie des Meeres
- Prof. Dr. Gerd Hentschel: Fachkollegium Sprachwissenschaften, Fach: Einzelsprachwissenschaften
- Prof. Dr. Helmut Hillebrand: Fachkollegium Zoologie, Fach: Ökologie der Tiere, Biodiversität und Ökosystemforschung
- Prof. Dr. Dr. Birger Kollmeier: Fachkollegium Mechanik und Konstruktiver Maschinenbau, Fach: Akustik