Events: seminars, courses, trainings, lectures
Please contact us if you have any questions, suggestion, comments etc
Events: seminars, courses, trainings, lectures
The event program is done in colaboration with the equal opportunity office of the medical faculty: uol.de/en/medicine/equal-opportunities
Advanced training series for professors, junior professors and postdocs (more info)
The permanent link for the lectures are available via a StudyGroup.
Lecture Series (starting time 13:00)
No registration needed, the meeting link will be announced in advance.
- 26.04.2023 „Integration of highly qualified female in German society”, Dr. Saumya Pant
- 17.05.2023, „De-Gendering STEM Work – It Involves Men Too”, Peter Meiksins – Professor Emeritus of Sociology, Cleveland State University, Cleveland OH (USA) (English)
- 08.06.2023, „Der Einfluss der Fachkultur auf Interesse und Teilhabe von Frauen an MINT-Fächern” Beate Curdes, UOL (in German).
- "Empowerment workshop for women: being visible and being heard”, by Stephanie Trapp (English) 23.02.2023, 09:00 - 17:00. Registration online.
- “Leadership Skills for Women in Science”, 18.-19.04.2023, 09:00-16:30h on both days, organiyed by graduate academy.
- Training on Sexual Harassment in the Workplace by Mirjam Spies (English) May 2, 2023, 09:30-15:00. Registration online
- Schulung zum Thema Sexuelle Belästigung für Studenten Mirjam Spies (German) May 3, 2023, 09:30-15:00. Registration online
- Wendo-selfdefence workshop, only for female, Mirjam Spies (German/English) May 4, 2023, 09:30-15:00. Registration online
- "Empowerment workshop for women: being visible and being heard”, by Stephanie Trapp (German) September .2023, 09:00 - 17:00. Registration and the date will be announced later.
The next writing retreat will take place on 08.06.- 12.06.2022 in Spiekeroog Haus am Meer. To register please contact Beate Grünberg () directly. This time the equal opportunity office and the Advisory Board "Gremium zur Förderung des weiblichen wissenschaftlichen Nachwuchses" take costs for the training, but travel costs and accommodation should be paid by participants via AG funding or other funds.
- Gender-sensitive teaching and learning in STEM exercises (English)by Beate Curdes, 22.09.2022 9:00-12:30 pdf announcement
- Gendersensibel Lehren und Lernen in MINT-Übungen, (German), by Beate Curdes, 23.09.2022 9:00-12:30 Detaillierte Informationen, pdf
Lunch time lectures:
19.01.2023, „Sexism - recognize it, name it, stop it” Mirjam Spies (in English).
- 27.10.2022 „Gender- und diversity sensible Lehre in MINT und Medizin“ with Lisa Mittischek (in german)
- Auf dem Weg zu einer gendergerechten Universität (German), by Lisa Horvath 21.09.2022
- Gendersensible Personalauswahl & Berufungskommissionen (German), by Lisa Horvath 08.07.2022
- Successful through diversity (English) by Ute Schürings and Elena Schmitz 23.06.2022
- Appreciative communication (English) by Ute Schürings and Elena Schmitz 30.06.2022
- Team Development (English), with Ute Schürings and Elena Schmitz 18.02.2022
- Kritische Fragen zu Rassismus (German) with Dr. phil. Fatoş Atali-Timmer 3.03.2022
- Intercultural competence (English): with Ute Schürings and Elena Schmitz 24.03.2022
- Gruppen-Biases in der Personalauswahl (German), by Lisa Horvath 27.04.2022
- "Mein Körper und Ich“ -Schlagfertig kontern und überzeugendauftreten (German), by Stephanie Trapp 12.05.2022
- Biases in Personnel Selection Procedures 25.03.2021
- Genderfair Talent Management 06.04.2021
- Intercultural competence 9.9.2021
- Der Rassismus der Anderen (in German only) by Fatos Atali-Timmer, 18.11.2021
- Language and the third gender (in German only) 24.11.2021
- Appreciative communication by Ute Schürings and Elena Schmitz, 03.12.2021
- Gendersensible Berufungen –im Widerspruch zu Exzellenz? (German), by Lisa Horvath 20.10.2022, 09:00 - 17:00
- Einführung in gender und vielfaltssensible Didaktik (German) by Lisa Mittischek, 17.11.2022, 9:00-16.30Uhr, online
- Successful through diversity (English) by Ute Schürings and Elena Schmitz 07.12.2022. Registration will be opened in Summer.
- Empowerment-Workshop für Frauen: Sichtbar sein und hörbar werden (German), by Stephanie Trapp 29.09.2022, 09:00 - 17:00
- Success through diversity: 12.02. and 12.03.2021
- Part I on 12.2. from 9.30-13.30 ONLINE
- Part II on 12.3. from 9.30-13.30 ONLINE
- Powerful appearance: 13.04.2021 (full day, only for female university lecturers) 9:30 to 17:30
- Body language and presence in online communication: 27.04.2021 full day, 9:30 to 17:30
- Sensitisation to the topic of gender and diversity: 8.06. and 06.07.2021 both 09.30-13.30h
- CANCELLED Team development: 8.10, 9.30-16.30 in PRESENCE
- Bias Awareness/Bias-Management 07.10. and 11.11.2021 each 09.30-13.30h
- 25.03.-27.03.2021 Writing Retreat "local" - We will look for a nice place in Oldenburg e.g. Glaswerk or rooms in the Schloßgarten and write together there - but each of us will sleep in her own bed.
- 29.9.-3.10.2021 Writing Retreat Langeoog - Fortunately, we have been able to book accommodation for another date and offer you Langeoog as a substitute for Spiekeroog - but unfortunately only in autumn.
For further information or to already announce your interest in the retreat please write an Email:
Motivation letter and CV as one PDF
to Dr. Ferdinand Esser
Deadline: 27. September 2021
More information online here: uol.de/en/oltech/courses-events/mentoring
The research training group 2226 “Chemical Bond Activation” invites you to participate in the online event Women in Science and Industry 2021.
Female speakers from different backgrounds will talk about their career in chemistry-related fields, their research topics/their tasks and give tips to aspiring young scientists.
Participation is free. Registration
The participation is gender-independent.
The summer school is organized by Prof. Caterina Cocchi.
4-5 June 2021.
Application by e-mail () including
- Short schematic curriculum vitae (max 1 A4 page)
- A short motivation letter with indication of the research interests (approx. ½ A4 page)
The number of participants is limited to 25, selection based on the applications.
Deadline: April 15th, 2021
Prof. Dr. Betti Hartmann and Dr. phil. Carla Schriever invite participants to a new series of seminars. The seminars will be online in SS2021, on Mondays at 14:30 to 16:00. Schedule
Who actually does science? And why is it still "the male scientist" in our minds? We want to address this topic in an evening, organized fully online. We will watch together (or better: simultaneously) the film PICTURE A SCIENTIST, in which a female biologist, a female chemist and a female geologist take on these questions and lead us on a journey through the experiences of their academic careers - as female scientists. The documentary (English original version, German subtitles) gives hope as it tells the story of strength and solidarity, of courageous female scientists who stand up to injustice and start a global discourse of change and equality.
Afterwards, we will meet in a casual setting in freely changeable discussion groups, for a glass of wine or fizzy drink, to discuss impressions and ideas.
March, 18th - 7 p.m.
Please register until Sunday, March 14th, at: elearning.uni-oldenburg.de/dispatch.php/course/details?sem_id=a25256c6f5d132338ff2455699fa1233 (or Stud.IP → Search → Enter “Picture a scientist”)
A joint event of OFFIS, Gleichstellung Fakultät V, DFG SFB 1372 - Magnetoreception and Navigation in Vertebrates, DFG RTG 1885 - Sensory Bio, DFG TRR 51 Roseobacter, OLTECH and Departments für Informatik
In everyday life scientists often have a packed schedule and little time to concentrate on publishing their work. But: The central currency for a successful scientific career are publications and third-party funding applications. In November 2019, the Royal Society of Chemistry in Nature published* that there are still structural hurdles for women scientists to publicise.
Especially female scientists, being more often more involved in committee work and teaching as well as family responsibilities, have very little time to spend on writing publications or proposals. For an academic career, however, these are of enormous importance.
The writing retreat is a possibility and training for concentrated writing. It is a planned retreat and break from everyday university life. The aim is to provide scientists with an optimal working environment in which to immerse themselves in the individual writing process and to devote themselves effectively to scientific publications, applications and projects.
During the writing retreat we provide an undisturbed atmosphere, offering a fixed daily routine, which nevertheless also takes into account the need for exchange (peer review), recreation, exercise and healthy nutrition, as well as contemplation.
In addition to the direct text result of the intensive working time, individual writing skills, the establishment of productive work strategies and self-organisation are improved.
More details will be announced soon.
For further information or to already announce your interest in the retreat please write an Email to subject writing retreat
Influence of Covid-19 on female researchers e.g.:www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02183-x
more details: The impact of the COVID-19 crisis on women in science: Challenges and solutions www.embl.org/events/covid19-wis/
* doi: 10.1038/d41586-019-03438-y ; Huge study documents gender gap in chemistry publishing; Analysis finds female-led papers are more likely to be rejected, and less likely to be cited, than those with male corresponding authors.
4th of November, 2020
9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The research training group 2226 “Chemical Bond Activation” invites you to participate in the online event Women in Science and Industry 2020. Female speakers from different backgrounds will talk about their career in chemistry-related fields. For more information, registration (everyone is welcome, free of charge) and a short summary on the research topics of the speaker please visit the website: uol.de/en/grk-2226/wsi