Dr. h. c. Peter Waskönig Foundation
The application period for scholarships from the Dr. h. c. Peter-Waskönig-Stiftung starts on March 1 and ends on May 31 each year.
Peter Waskönig was born in Wuppertal in 1932, and in 1970 decided to move north, to the city of Ramsloh. He took with him his family business, now managed in the fifth generation as one of the most successful providers of quality cables for professional use. Ever since, Waskönig has been a fixture in the regional business. For many years he served as president of the IHK Oldenburg. In the early 1990s, he took over the chair of the Universitätsgesellschaft Oldenburg (UGO) and in this capacity became a key figure in building bridges between science and economy in the German northwest. In 2003, in recognition of the significant accomplishments of his work, he received an honorary doctorate from the University of Oldenburg.
Already 1996, however, he had established a foundation with the declared aim of supporting students at the University of Oldenburg. Since then the now-retired entrepreneur has repeatedly and extensively expanded the assets of his foundation and in so doing has been able to support many gifted and socially-engaged students in their studies.
It is for this reason that each year the Dr. h. c. Peter Waskönig-Stiftung continues to support three students at the University of Oldenburg “who distinguish themselves during their studies through ability, initiative, and responsibility”. The foundation supports students via financial and material contributions, in particular through the awarding of six-months’ scholarships in the amount of 500,00 € per month.
Applicants have to meet the following qualification:
- enrolled as a student at the University of Oldenburg
- no Ph.D students
A complete application contains at least the following documents:
- personal cover letter
- short curriculum vitae, including a photo
- certificate of matriculation
- current overview of grades
- certificate of the higher education entrance qualification
- for Master students: copy of the Bachelor's degree
- supporting documents for social commitments, volunteer work, etc.
In writing their applications students are advised to take into consideration that all applicants are, in accordance with the bylaws of the foundation and insofar as practicable, judged in terms of their personality, their academic record and the special achievements they have accomplished in their lives (projects, initiatives, social commitment, etc.).
The application and selection process works as follows:
- Applications are accepted only during the application period (see on the right). Applications are to be addressed to the president of the University, but are to be handed in digitally to the Servicepoint Scholarships.
- After the the application deadline all applications are examined by the Servicepoint Scholarships. Where required, missing documents are requested – usually via e-mail.
- The president of the University of Oldenburg and a another member of the board of trustees make a preliminary selection of suitable candidates studying for Bachelor and Master degrees. That selection is then presented to the other members of the board of trustees.
- At the meeting of the board of trustees the year’s scholarship holders are determined using a score system.
- Shortly afterward, applicants receive notice of the outcome.
- The scholarship starts in the beginning of the following semester.
- In the following weeks, a small award ceremony is held at the Gästehaus of the University. Scholarship holders are invited to a personal meet and greet with the founder and the board of trustees. Attendance of the ceremony is obligatory.