Epidemiology and Biometry
Head of Division:
Epidemiology and Biometry
Welcome to the webpage of the Division of Epidemiology and Biometry within the Faculty of Medicine.
In memoriam: Lloyd R. Sutherland passed away on August 1st, 2019, following a long period of severe disease. He will live on as inspiration. Thank you Lloyd, it was the perfect time to live, to work, to research, to study in Calgary. Your openness, international outlook, generosity of mind and broad scope of interests along with high standards, strong focus and appreciativeness were wonderful to experience and witness. I wish there was more of this around..
Antje Timmer, August 2019
- On the 18th of february from 6 pm the second student Corona Symposium will take place. Guests are welcome to attend.
- The ISS project is in the survey phase. Further participants are welcome. Key information is compiled on the project page.
- Singing and music therapy in nursing homes / for dementia and depression: If you are interested in participating in the MIDDEL project, please contact us!
Our team is growing!
- We are currently still looking for a Programmer/Data Manager for two emergency care projects.
- We will also soon be advertising a position as Study Nurse for the MIDDEL project.
- We are also looking for a student assistant with good database creation skills for a teaching project.
- In the spring, we expect our new Cancer Epidemiology (Land Office) staff member (Dr. Omar Faruque) to start.
- In January, Ms. Natalia Tiles-Sar started on the Psych-IBD (Cochrane Review Update) project.
- Since December, Ms. Johanna Neuser has been with us. She works as a project coordinator and head of the assessment unit on the MIDDEL project.
- Since September 2020, Ms. Luca Azimi has joined the team (project ISS) for her voluntary scientific year.
- Already since July 2020 we are supported by Ms. Angelika Hensel (Land Office). She represents the area of data management in the department.
- Since summer our young fathers are back from their parental leave. Since then we are almost back to normal working conditions - even if in the home office.
- For current and foreseeable vacancies, please refer to our job offers.
- Announcing CLAUS: We set up a Clinical Assessment Unit for Studies in epidemiology and health care research. We will be able to perform physical assessments as well as mobile technical assessment, including ECG, audiometry, visus, spirometry) and collection of human biological material.
Pandemic: We are still largely in the home office
- Therefore, you can reach us best by email at the moment. You are welcome to visit the information page of the university to find out about the current requirements. Cooperation partners are kindly requested to be patient, all work is still ongoing.
- General information on COVID-19 (Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2) can be found on the RKI website.
- The medical societies and networks in Germany present as competence network Public Health COVID-19 concerted results from their working groups.
- The library of the University of Mainz has compiled further links very helpful.
- If you have an IBD, please contact your attending physician with questions about the epidemic. The DCCV has also compiled many helpful tips on corona and IBD.
"To the pure clinician, the clinical research published in general medical journals is no longer really understandable, because the design and the analyses have become too complicated. To the pure methodologist, it may not be evident how particular findings fit with background clinical and basic science knowledge. .....If we want to preserve and reinforce proper judgements about the theory and practice of medicine—including the use of ‘big data’ and the use of ‘personalised medicine’—we need people with both types of knowledge in one head"
"Zwei Dinge sind zu unserer Arbeit nötig: Unermüdliche Ausdauer und die Bereitschaft, etwas, in das man viel Zeit und Arbeit gesteckt hat, wieder wegzuwerfen"