Scientific assistant in the Department of Anatomy in the Department of Human Medicine at the Carl von Ossietzky University Oldenburg
Academic training and scientific career
2001 - 2006
Scientific Assistant at the Institute of Anatomy of the Medical Faculty in Magdeburg
1999 - 2001
Scientific Assistant at the Institute of Medical Psychology of the Medical Faculty in Magdeburg
1996 - 1999
Research Assistant at the Institute of Anatomy at the Medical University of Hannover
1995 - 1996
Research Assistant at the Institute of Anatomy of the Medical Faculty in Frankfurt a.M.
1993 - 1994
Research assistant in the Department of Zoophysiology at the University of Oldenburg
1990 - 1993
Scholarship holder of the State of Lower Saxony as doctoral student in the department Zoophysiology of the University of Oldenburg
Doctoral thesis: Localisation, characterisation and isolation of the opiate receptor in crustaceans Rating: summa cum laude
1985 - 1990
Study of Biology at the University of Oldenburg, Grade Point Average: 1.0
Diploma Thesis: Autoradiographic and immunocytochemical investigations of ultramicroscopic structures of the neuroendocrine system of crustaceans
- Wickramasekaraa, Rochelle N.; Bockman, Charles; Hanke, Joachim; Schwegler, Herbert; McGeed, JoAnn; Walsh, Edward; Yilmazer-Hanke, Deniz. (2020). Alpha2-adrenergic dysregulation in congenic DxH recombinant inbred mice selectively bred for a high fear-sensitized (H-FSS) startle response. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behaviour. 188. 172835
- Yilmazer-Hanke, Deniz; Eliava, Marina; Hanke, Joachim; Schwegler, Herbert; Asan, Esther. (2016). Density of Acetylcholine Esterase (AchE) and Tyrosine Hydroxylase (TH) Containing Fibers in the Amygdala of Roman High- and Low-Avoidance Rats. Neuroscience letters. 632. 114-8.
- Browne, Caroline; Hanke, Joachim; Rose, Claudia; Walsh, Irene; Foley, Tara; Clarke, Gerard;Schwegler, Herbert; Cryan, John; Yilmazer-Hanke, Deniz. (2014). Effect of Acute Swim Stress on Plasma Corticosterone and Brain Monoamine Levels in Bidirectionally Selected DxH Recombinant Inbred Mouse Strains Differing in Fear Recall and Extinction. Stress (Amsterdam, Netherlands). 17. 1-36.
- Browne, Caroline; Clarke, Gerard; Hanke, Joachim; G Dinan, Timothy; Schwegler, Herbert; Yilmazer-Hanke, Deniz; Cryan, John. (2013). Alterations in prefrontal cortical serotonin and antidepressant-like behaviour in a novel C3H/HeJxDBA/2J recombinant inbred mouse strain. Behavioural brain research. 236. 283-8.
- Rose, Claudia; Schwegler, Herbert; Hanke, Joachim; Yilmazer-Hanke, Deniz. (2012). Pregnancy rates, prenatal and postnatal survival of offspring, and litter sizes after reciprocal embryo transfer in DBA/2JHd, C3H/HeNCrl and NMRI mice. Theriogenology. 77. 1883-93.
- Frisch, Christian; Hanke, Joachim; Kleinerüschkamp, Sven; Roeske, Sandra; Kaaden, Sabine; Elger, Christian; Schramm, Johannes; Yilmazer-Hanke, Deniz; Helmstaedter, Christoph. (2009). Positive Correlation Between the Density of Neuropeptide Y Positive Neurons in the Amygdala and Parameters of Self-Reported Anxiety and Depression in Mesiotemporal Lobe Epilepsy Patients. Biological psychiatry. 66. 433-40.
- Rose, Claudia; Röhl, Friedrich-Wilhelm; Hanke, Joachim; Schwegler, Herbert; Yilmazer-Hanke, Deniz. (2008). Maternal and Genetic Effects on the Acoustic Startle Reflex and its Sensitization in C3H/HeN, DBA/2JHd and NMRI Mice Following Blastocyst Transfer. Behaviour genetics. 38. 596-611.
- Rose, Claudia; Schwegler, Herbert; Hanke, Joachim; Röhl, Friedrich-Wilhelm; Yilmazer-Hanke, Deniz. (2006). Differential effects of embryo transfer and maternal factors on anxiety-related behaviour and numbers of neuropeptide Y (NPY) and parvalbumin (PARV) containing neurons in the amygdala of inbred C3H/HeN and DBA/2J mice. Behavioural brain research. 173. 163-8.
- Rose, Claudia; Röhl, Friedrich-Wilhelm; Schwegler, Herbert; Hanke, Joachim; Yilmazer-Hanke, Deniz. (2006). Maternal and Genetic Effects on Anxiety-Related Behavior of C3H/HeN, DBA/2J and NMRI Mice in a Motility-Box Following Blastocyst Transfer. Behaviour genetics. 36. 745-62.
- Roskoden, Thomas; Hanke, Joachim; Yilmazer-Hanke, Deniz; Schwegler, Herbert. (2005). Reduced number of CRF-containing neurons in the central amygdala correlated with enhanced locomotor activity following early postnatal corticosterone treatment in the Wistar rat. Behavioural brain research. 165. 221-8.
- Yilmazer-Hanke, Deniz; Hantsch, M; Hanke, Joachim; Schulz, Carla; Faber-Zuschratter, Heidi; Schwegler, Herbert. (2004). Neonatal thyroxine treatment: Changes in the number of corticotropinreleasing-factor (CRF) and neuropeptide Y (NPY) containing neurons and density of tyrosine hydroxylase positive fibres (TH) in the amygdala correlate with anxiety-related behaviour of Wistar rats. Neuroscience. 124. 283-97.
- Hanke, JoachimSabel, Bernhard. (2004). L-type calcium channel antagonist nifedipine reduces neurofilament restitution following traumatic optic nerve injury. Acta neurochirurgica. Supplement. 89. 75-80.
- Hanke, JoachimSabel, Bernhard. (2002). Anatomical correlations of intrinsic axon repair after partial optic nerve crush in rats. Annals of anatomy = Anatomischer Anzeiger : official organ of the Anatomical Society. 184. 113-23.
- Hanke Joachim (2001) Apoptosis in cultured islets of Langerhans and occurrence of Bcl-2, Bak, Bax, Fas and FasL. Cell Tissues Organs 169: 113-124.
- Hanke Joachim (2000) Apoptosis and occurrence of Bcl-2, Bak, Bax, Fas and FasL in the developing and adult rat endocrine pancreas. Anat Embryol 202: 303-312.
- Yilmazer-Hanke D, Hanke J (1999): Progression of Alzheimer-related neuritic plaque pathology in the entorhinal region, perirhinal cortex, and hippocampal formation. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 10: 70-76.
- Nagy Z, Yilmazer DM, Braak H, Braak E, Schultz C, Hanke J (1998): Assessment of the pathological stages of Alzheimer's disease in thin paraffin sections: A comparative study. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 9: 140-144.
- Nagy Z, Vatter-Bittner B, Braak H, Braak E, Yilmazer DM, Schultz C, Hanke J (1997): Staging of Alzheimer-type pathology: An interrater-intrarater study. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 8: 248-251.
- Hanke J, Yilmazer-Hanke DM (1997): Pigmentarchitectonic subfields of the entorhinal region as revealed in tangential sections. J Brain Res 38: 427-432.
- Hanke JYilmazer-Hanke DM (1997): Variabilities in the distribution of neurofibrillary tangles in the anterior parahippocampal gyrus at initial stages of Alzheimer's disease. Clin. Neuropathol 16: 299-302.
- Hanke J (1997) Sulcal pattern of the anterior parahippocampal gyrus in the human adult. Ann Anat 179: 335-339.
- Hanke JWillig A, Yinon U, Jaros PP (1997): Delta and kappa opioid receptors in eyestalk ganglia of a crustacean. Brain Res. 744: 279-284.
- Hanke JWillig A, Jaros PP (1996): Opioid receptor types for endogenous enkephalin in the thoracic ganglion of the crab, Carcinus maenas. Peptides 17: 965-972.
- Hanke J, Jaros PP, Willig A (1993): Ultrastructural autoradiographic localization of opiod receptors on membranes with CHH immunogold detected axon terminals in a neurohemal organ of Carcinus maenas L.. Histochem. 99: 405-410.
- Hanke J, Jaros PP, Willig A (1992): Differential localization of leu-enkephalin in axon terminals of the sinus gland of the crabs Carcinus maenas L., Eriocheir sinensis and Uca pugilator. Cell Tissue Res. 270: 521-526.
A PhD candidate in the University of Rostock within the framework of Blood Biomarkers-based Diagnostic Tools for Early-stage Alzheimer's Disease (BBDiag) Project. She received her master's degree in Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology from Ain Shams University, Egypt in 2012. Then she received training as a neuroradiology fellow in Misr radiology centre (MRC), where she acquired experience in advanced MRI Techniques & applications in neuroimaging. Currently, she is working on the imaging biomarkers as a predictive tool in preclinical stage of Alzheimer's disease. In collaboration with Oldenburg University, she is exploring the Lipidomic signature of Alzheimer's disease as an initial step to further promote potential candidates as reliable biomarkers in the initial phases of the disease.
Sakr F, Dyrba M, Bräuer AU, Teipel S (2021). Association of Lipidomics Signatures in Blood with Clinical Progression in Preclinical and Prodromal Alzheimer's Disease. J Alzheimers Dis. 2021 Dec 9. doi: 10.3233/JAD-201504.
9/2017 - 8/2021
PhD student and research assistant at the Carl von Ossietzky University Oldenburg, Department of Human Medicine, Department of Anatomy
Academic training and scientific career
2015 - 2017
PhD student at the University Medical Center Rostock, Institute of Anatomy, Molecular Neurobiology Group.
PhD topic: Functional investigation of the PRG5-PtdInsP interaction and its role in neurodegenerative diseases.
2014 - 2015
Research associate at the Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin
2011 - 2014
Master's degree in biology, majoring in neurobiology at the Free University of Berlin
Master thesis at the Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin:
Neurexin expression of different embryonic and postnatal developmental stages of the mouse central nervous system.
2011 - 2014
Bachelor's degree in Biology, at the University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart.
Bachelor thesis at the University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart
Cell modifying properties of low molecular weight components from the venom of Crotalus durissus terrificus.
2000 - 2008
General qualification for university entrance at the Goethe-Gymnasium Ludwigsburg
Memberships in scientific societies
- Neuroscience Society
1. Gross I, Tschigor T, Salman AL, Yang F, Luo J, Vonk D, Hipp MS, Neidhardt J, Bräuer AU (2021). A systematic expression analysis of plasticity-related genes in mouse brain development brings PRG4 into play. Dev Dyn. 2021 Oct 7. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.428. online ahead of print. PMID: 34622503.
2. Gross I, Bräuer AU. Modulation of LPA Receptor Activity: the key to successful neural regeneration? Neural Regen Res, 2020 15(1):53-54
3. Brand I., Gross I., Li D., Zhang Y., Bräuer AU. Pneumatic conveying printing technique for bioprinting applications. RSCAdv., 2019, 9, 40910: DOI: 10.1039/c9ra07521f
4. Suckau O.*, Gross I.*, Schrötter S., Yang F., Luo J., Wree A., Chun J., Baska D., Baumgart J., Kano K., Aoki J., Bräuer AU. LPA1, LPA2, LPA4, and LPA6 receptor expression during mouse brain development. Developmental Dynamics, 2019 Mar 8
2020 - 8/2021
Research assistant for habilitation in the Department of Anatomy in the Department of Human Medicine at Carl von Ossietzky University Oldenburg.
Academic training and scientific career
2016 - 2019
Research associate (postdoctoral researcher) at the Institute of Cell and Neurobiology, Centre for Anatomy, Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
2011 - 2016
Research associate (postdoctoral researcher) at the Institute of Transfusion Medicine, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin
2007 - 2011
Research associate (PhD student) at the Institute of Transfusion Medicine, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin
Doctoral thesis: Molecular profiling of the haematopoietic support of interleukin-stimulated endothelial cells
Rating: magna cum laude
Research Trainee at the Institute of Transfusion Medicine, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin
Topic: The role of B-cell activating factor (BAFF) in immune thrombocytopenia
Biomedical Scientist at the Laboratory of Clinical Biochemistry, Cerrahpaşa Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University.
Studied M.Sc. Biology, Gebze Institute of Technology, Turkey
Studied B.Sc. Biomedical Sciences, Cerrahpaşa Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University
1. Bal, G*; Depré F*, Dzamashvili M, Ringel F, Salama A. Effect of thrombopoietin receptor agonists on leucocyte and haematopoietic stem and progenitor cell in peripheral blood of patients with immune thrombocytopenia. Annals of Hematology, 2017.
2. Cecilia B, Seval T, Ulrich R, Lars F, Bal G, Schulz CO, Hemmati P, Renate A, Hanno R, Philipp le C. A Rare Case of Acute Myeloid Leukemia with a t(2;3) Chromosomal Translocation Characterized by Thrombophilia and Chemoresistance. J Clin Exp Hematop. 2016.
3. Kohn B., Bal G. , Chirek A., Rehbein S., Salama A. Romiplostim treatment in dogs as a natural animal model for refractory immune thrombocytopenia. BMC Veterinary Research (2016).
4. Bal G, Salama, A at all, Identification of novel biomarkers in chronic immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) by microarray-based serum protein profiling. Br J Haematol. (2015).
5. Kamhieh-Milz J, Moftah RF, Bal G, Futschik M, Sterzer V, Khorramshahi O, Burow M, Thiel G, Stuke-Sontheimer A, Chaoui R, Kamhieh-Milz S, Salama A. Differentially expressed microRNAs in maternal plasma for the noninvasive prenatal diagnosis of Down syndrome (trisomy 21). Biomed Res Int. (2014)
6. Bal G, Kamhieh-Milz J, Sterzer V, Al-Samman M, Debski J, Klein O, Kamhieh-Milz S, Bhakdi S, Salama, A. Proteomic profiling of secreted proteins for the hematopoietic support of interleukin-stimulated human umbilical vein endothelial cells. Cell Transplant. (2012).
7. Kamhieh-Milz J, Bal G, Sterzer V, Kamhieh-Milz S, Arbach O, Salama A. Reduced antioxidant capacities in platelets from patients with autoimmune thrombocytopenia purpura (ITP). Platelets (2012).
8. Bal G, Kamhieh-Milz J, Futschik M, Haupl T, Salama A, Moldenhauer A. Transcriptional profiling of the hematopoietic support of interleukin-stimulated human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs). Cell Transplant. (2011).
9. Moldenhauer A, Futschik M, Lu H, Helmig M, Götze P, Bal G, Zenke M, Han W,Salama A. Interleukin 32 promotes hematopoietic progenitor expansion and attenuates bone marrow cytotoxicity. Eur J Immunol. (2011).
10. Moldenhauer A, Genter G, Lun A, Bal G, Kiesewetter H, Salama A. Hematopoietic progenitor cells and interleukin-stimulated endothelium: expansion and differentiation of myeloid precursors. BMC Immunol. (2008).
11. Emmerich F*, Bal G*, Barakat A, Milz J, Mühle C, Martinez-Gamboa L, Dörner T, Salama A. High-level serum B-cell activating factor and promoter polymorphisms in patients with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Br J Haematol. (2007).
Lonza AG Visp, Switzerland
Academic training and scientific career
2017 - 2021
PhD student at the Carl von Ossietzky University Oldenburg, Department of Human Medicine, Department of Anatomy
2015 - 2017
PhD student at the University Medical Center Rostock, Institute of Anatomy, Molecular Neurobiology group
PhD topic: Analysis of lipid metabolism changes in NPC1 mouse model with different treatment strategies
2014 - 2017
Research assistant at the University Medical Center Rostock, Institute of Anatomy
2006 - 2012
Study of Biosciences at the University of Rostock
Diploma thesis at the Albrecht-Kossel Institute for Neuroregeneration, Rostock
Subject of the diploma thesis: Investigation of the activity enhancement of alpha-galactosidase A using potential modifier genes
2003 - 2006
General qualification for university entrance at the vocational grammar school in Oelsnitz/Erzgebirge, specialisation: information and communication technology
1. Gläser A, Hammerl F, Gräler MH, Coldewey SM, Völkner C, Frech MJ, Yang F, Luo J, Tönnies E, von Bohlen Und Halbach O, Brandt N, Heimes D, Neßlauer AM, Korenke GC, Owczarek-Lipska M, Neidhardt J, Rolfs A, Wree A, Witt M, Bräuer AU. Identification of Brain-Specific Treatment Effects in NPC1 Disease by Focusing on Cellular and Molecular Changes of Sphingosine-1-Phosphate Metabolism. Int J Mol Sci. 2020 Jun 24;21(12):E4502. doi: 10.3390/ijms21124502.
2. Feng X, Yang F, Rabenstein M, Wang Z, Frech M, Wree A, Bräuer AU, Witt M., Gläser A., Hermann A., Rolfs A, Luo J, Stimulation of mGluR1/5 improves defective internalization of AMPA receptors in NPC1 mutant mouse, Cerebral Cortex, 2019, Oct 10
3. Neßlauer A-M., Gläser A. , Gräler M., Engelmann R., Müller-Hilke B., Frank M., Burstein C., Rolfs A., Wree A., Witt M., Bräuer AU. A therapy with miglustat, 2-hydroxypropyl-ß-cyclodextrin and allopregnanolone restores splenic cholesterol homeostasis in Niemann-Pick Disease Type C1. Lipids Health Dis., 2019 June, 18:146
4. Meyer A,*, Gläser A.*, Bräuer AU., Wree A., Strotmann J., Rolfs A., Witt M. Olfactory performance as an indicator for protective treatment effects in an animal model of neurodegeneration, Front. Integr. Neurosci. 2018 Aug. 12;12:35
5. Ebner L., Gläser A., Bräuer AU., Witt M., Wree A., Rolfs A., Frank M., Vollmar B., Kuhla A. Evaluation of Two Liver Treatment Strategies in a Mouse Model of Niemann-Pick-Disease Type C1, Int. J. Mol. Sci., 2018 Mar, 19 (4): 972
6. Reetz J., Hildebrandt S., Schmidt A., Meier C., Herchenroder O., Gläser A. , Witt M., Pützer BM., Wree A., Novel subventricular zone early progenitor cell-specific adenovirus for in vivo therapy of central nervous system disorders reinforces brain stem cell heterogeneity, Brain structure & function, 2015 May, 221 (4): 2049-59
7. Lukas J., Pockrandt A., Seemann S., Sharif M., Runge F., Pohlers S., Zheng C., Gläser A., Beller M., Rolfs A., Giese A., Enzyme Enhancers for the treatment of Fabry and Pompe Disease, Molecular Therapy , 2015 Mar, 23 (3): 456-464
*Contributed equally as first author.
July 2018 - June 2020
Research Assistant in the Department of Anatomy in the Department of Human Medicine at Carl von Ossietzky University Oldenburg
2011 - 2018
Research associate at the Institute of Brain Research at the University of Bremen in the research group of Prof. Ursula Dicke and Prof. Gerhard Roth.
Research projects included studies on the functional anatomy of neuronal connectivities in di- and mesencephalon in amphibians involved in focused visual attention.
Cooperation with Jannek von Byern (Vienna) on the topic of skin glands and skin secretions of salamanders (see publication list).
2004 - 2010
Study of biology with a major in zoology and minors in botany and ecology.
1992 - 1995
Study of human medicine at the MLU in Halle / Saale
VBIO Association of German Biologists
GDNÄ Society of German Natural Scientists and Physicians
DGGTB German Society for the History and Theory of Biology
Special focus and interests
- Comparative anatomy of vertebrates including humans
- Anatomical variants
- Anatomical collections - historical and current significance
1. von Byern J, Mebs D, Heiss E, Dicke U, Wetjen O, Bakkegard K, Grunwald I, Wolbank S, Mühleder S, Gugerell A, Fuchs H, Nürnberger S. Salamanders on the bench - A biocompatibility study of salamander skin secretions in cell cultures. Toxicon. 2017 Sep 1;135:24-32. doi: 10.1016/j.toxicon.2017.05.02 Epub 2017 May 25.
2. von Byern J, Grunwald I, Kosok M, Saporito RA, Dicke U, Wetjen O, Thiel K, Borcherding K, Kowalik T, Marchetti-Deschmann M. Chemical characterization of the adhesive secretions of the salamander Plethodon shermani (Caudata, Plethodontidae). Sci Rep. 2017 Jul 27;7(1):6647. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-05473-z.