Antimicrobial resistance is becoming one of the major threats to human health. As many bacteria have become resistant to currently available antibiotic, there is an urgent need to discover and develop new effective antibiotic compounds. Marine natural products represent a promising option for the development of new antibiotics.
One key component of soft bottom ecosystems is sea cucumbers. When attacked by predators, sea cucumbers show unique defensive reactions, which is known as evisceration. Besides evisceration, they do not have significant escape behaviours or morphological defences. Therefore they rely mostly on chemical defence mechanism to deter possible predators.
In the GINAICO project (German-Indonesian Anti –Infectives Cooperation), we are not only planning to work on different species for bio guided fractionation of the active principals, but also to see the ways to enhance the bioactive compounds from Indonesian specimens.
Finally, results will provide information to achieve the following aims:
1) Extracting, screening and identifying the anti-infecting activities from sea cucumber,
2) Isolation of sea cucumber associated bacteria.
- PhD candidate, GINAICO project, Carl-von-Ossietzky-University of Oldenburg, Germany.
- Member of the graduate school "Science and Technology", "Environmental Science and Biodiversity", Carl-von-Ossietzky-University of Oldenburg, Germany.
- PhD guest student, Zentrum für Marine Tropenökologie, Bremen, Germany.
2013 – 2015:
- M.Sc. of ISATEC program, Bremen University, Germany.Thesis title: Thermal Resistance of Juvenile Holothuriascabra (Jaeger, 1833) with Focus on Biochemical Indicators of Metabolism, and Immune Enzymes Activities.
This work has been supported by ZMT, IPleiria and ERASMUS.
- M.Sc. in Marine Animals, Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran.Thesis title: Distribution of Heavy Metals in Intertidal Xanthid Crab, Leptodius exaratus (H.M.Edwards, 1834), Superficial Sediments & Water in the Persian Gulf_ A Case Study in Naiband Bay.
This work had been done with financial supports of Gas & oil Co., Asalouyeh, Iran.
- B.Sc. in Marine Biology, Guilan University, Guilan, Iran.
Holothurians ecology and ecophysiology,
Experimental work on different biomarkers at sub-organismal level,
Microbiology: study the anti-microbial activities of sea cucumber extracts,
Biochemistry: extraction and identifying bioactive compounds.
Research & Publications:
- Kamyab E, Kühnhold H, Novais SC, Alves LM, Indriana L., Kunzmann A., Slater M., Lemos M.F.L., 2016. Effects of thermal stress on the immune and oxidative stress responses of juvenile sea cucumber Holothuriascabra. J. comp physiol B, pp. 1-11.
- Kühnhold H, Kamyab E, Novais S, Indriana L, Kunzmann A, Slater M, Lemos, 2016. Thermal stress effects on energy resource allocation and oxygen consumption rate in the juvenile sea cucumber, Holothuriascabra (Jaeger, 1833), Aquaculture, pp: 1-24. DOI: 10.1016/j.aquaculture.2016.03.018
- Kamyab E, Abtahi B, Heidari M, 2009. Assessing the Bioaccumulation of Nickel, Vanadium (as Oil Pollution Indicators) & Mercury in Some Tissues of an Intertidal Brachyuran Crab (Leptodius exaratus) of Persian Gulf (A case Study in Naiband Bay), Research & Technology Section of Pars Gas & Oil Company, annual Vol. pp: 179.
- 2015-2016: Research project at Institute of marine tropical ecology (ZMT), Bremen, Germany.
- 2014-2015: Research project at Marine & Environmental sciences center (MARE), Peniche, Portugal.
- 2014: Setting up the experiment and sampling at the Alfred-Wegener-Institute, Bremerhaven.
- 2011-2012: Lecturer, the University of applied sciences & technology, Arak, Iran.
- 2007-2009: Research travel to Asalouyeh, Iran.
- 2007-2009: Research project at Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran.
- 2004-2007: Research projects, Alzahra University, Tehran, Iran.
Conferences & Workshops:
- Kamyab E, Döring J, khazaali A, Kunzmann A, 2016. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon pollution affects the fatty acid composition of Holothuriascabra (Jaeger, 1833): A sea cucumber from Qeshm Island, Persian Gulf, Iran. Oral presentation, IMMR’16, Peniche, Portugal.
- Kühnhold H, Kamyab E, Novais SC, Lemos MFL, Slater M, Kunzmann A, 2015. Cellular Energy Allocation and Energy Metabolism Related Enzymes as Indicators of Thermal Stress in Juvenile Holothuria scabra. Oral presentation, Aquaculture conference, Montpellier, France.
- Kamyab E, Kunzmann A, Kühnhold H, Novais SC, Lemos MFL, 2015. Effects of Thermal stress on Oxidative and Antioxidant Responses of juvenile Holothuriascabra. Accepted for oral presentation, YOUMARES 6, Bremen.
- Workshop, 2015: Biomarkers (from gene to ecosystem), ESTM-Polytechnic Institute of Leiria, Peniche, Portugal.
- Internship, 2012: Pasteur Institute of Iran, Influenza Unit, Tehran, Iran. Cell culture, Protein & RNA extraction and expression, PCR.
- Kamyab E, Abtahi B, 2009. Seasonal Variations of Ni, Hg & V in Tissues of Xanthid Crab (Leptodius exaratus) as a Bioindicator for Intertidal Zone of Persian Gulf. Poster, The 17th International Environmental Bioindicators Conference, Bioindicators, Moscow- Russia, 17 (26).
- Kamyab E, Farmohammadi S, 2008. Identification of Intertidal Brachyuran Crabs of Naiband Bay-Iran. Poster, the 1st National Conference of Fishery Science & Aquatic Animals, Lahijan University, Guilan- Iran, pp:54-56.
- Kamyab E, Farmohammadi S, Moghimi M, 2008. Assessment of Brachyuran Crab Diversity & Species Richness of Intertidal Regions of Naiband Bay. Poster, the 15th National & 3rd International Conference of Biology, Tehran University-Iran, annual Vol., pp. 288.
- Farmohammadi S, Kamyab E, et al., 2005. Identifying the Fauna & Flora of Sistan & Balouchestan Province, Report for Environmental Protection Department of Hormozgan Province, Iran.
- 2014: ERASMUS research travel grant, Bremen University, Germany.
- 2008: South pars Gas & Oil Co., travel grant, Iran.
- Persian: native language
- English: fluent
- German: basic knowledge