For questions concerning the programme
Advice and support
Questions concerning Admission and Application
Degree: Master of Science (M.Sc.)
Language: English (B2)
Duration: 4 semesters full-time
ECTS: 120 CP
Each year capacity: 25 students
Application and Admission
For Applicants holding a German degree
- application period: 1st June - 15th July
- apply via the university application portal
For Applicants holding a non-German degree
- application period: beginning of May - 31st May for non-EU applicants and 15th July for EU-applicants (we highly recommend to submit your application by 31st May)
- apply via uni-assist
Bachelor´s degree (or equivalent) in biology with major in molecular life sciences, biochemistry, molecular biology, molecular biomedicine, or another closely releted course of study, in which at least 40 ECTS credits (including laboratory practice!) have been completed in at least three of the following subject areas: molecular biology, genetics, cell biology, developmental biology, biochemistry, immunology, human/animal physiology, molecular neurobiology.
English language proficiency at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
Applicants who are not native speakers or have completed their first degree in English in a country with English or German as an official language need to provide an English Language certificate (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge First Certificate), which is no older than 2 years.
The following additional documents must be submitted along with your application in German or English (documents in other languages need to be accompanied by certified translations):
- (preliminary) Bachelor´s degree certificate
- Transcript of records (containing credits/credit points!) – if your ToR contains only grades, additional official documents showing the amount of earned credits/credit points (e.g. syllabi) are required
- proof of English language proficiency at level B2 (no older than 2 years) completed specific eligibility form (available on application portals)
- if applicable, descriptions of the relevant courses (see „Degree Requirements”), official statement of your supervisor about your thesis (especially duration of the lab work, methods used)
Please do not send any documents directly to the University. All relevant documents need to be uploaded to uni-assist.
Please do not submit letters of motivation and letters of recommendation as these will not be considered.
If your transcript of records contains only grades, additional official documents (e.g. syllabi) are required to prove that you have earned the required number of ECTS credits/credit points or equivalent in your previous degree programme (see „Degree Requirements”).
Please note: ECTS credits are not grades. ECTS credits are awarded for each successfull completed course/unit and reflect the student´s total workload (incl. hours in class, homework, preparation for exams and taking exams). One year of full-time study in Oldenburg is worth of 60 ECTS credits (equal to 1800 study hours; 1 ECTS credit = 30 study hours).
A maximum of 25 available places per year can be awarded to the highest-ranking applicants based on the final grade of the Bachelor´s degree (or equivalent).
conversion of foreign grades into the German grading system