Application and Administration Support
Postgraduate Programme in Renewable Energy
Phone: +49 (0)441-798 3544
Dr. Herena Torio
Postgraduate Programme in Renewable Energy (Core Oldenburg)
Phone: +49 (0)441-798-3212
Dr. Robin Knecht
European Master in Renewable Energy (Core Oldenburg)
Phone: +49 441 798-3212
Office hours: Mon - Thu
University of Oldenburg
School of Mathematics and Science
Institute of Physics
- Applicants must have successfully completed a regular academic programme in Engineering or Science (e.g. Physics, Mech. Eng., Electr. Eng.)
Your final grade has to equal at least a Second Upper; most of our students graduated from their previous studies in the First Division.
Applicants have to provide certified proof of their English language competence (e.g. TOEFL, see below)
Professional experience in the field of or related to (Renewable) Energy and/or Rural Development is appreciated; mandatory for DAAD applicants.
Applications will be discussed by a selection committee selecting DAAD scholarships after the first deadline and all other participants after the second deadline.
- 15.10. of the year before entry (for DAAD applicants)
- 15.01. - 9 months before entry
(for all self-financed / other scholarships)
- Application is possible between August 15th and Jan 15th only.
How to apply
- Applicants for both deadlines have to use the link for online application. There is no possibility to hand in a paper application.
- DAAD applicants are strongly advised to check www.daad.de for requirements and documents the DAAD asks for.
You will have to prepare and scan the following documents for your application and upload (!) them after registering and before the end of the deadline (preferred jpg format, pdf is also ok - but please note: zip-files are not accepted!):
- Final Diploma Certificate. Please hand in the original and its English translation if your certificate is neither in German nor English
- Detailed transcripts of records of your previous studies (incl. explanation/weighing of marks)
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Motivation letter (1 page max), including research interests/proposal
- Certificate of English language proficiency (TOEFL ibT 80, cbT 213, pbT 550; IELTS academic 6.0; Cambridge C1) or official statement from university that previous studies were conducted in English language. Native speakers of English are exempted.
- Academic reference letters from previous professors (2)
- Records of professional employment (official statement / recommendation from employer)
- For non-DAAD applicants only: official statement of financial coverage of 20.000 Euros
- For DAAD applicants only: application form (!) for a scholarship with relevance to developing countries from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). Also, please be aware that the DAAD asks for additional documents; please read the requirements listed online carefully.
Please see our FAQ if you have any questions about the above documents. We cannot check your application for completeness, so please compare with the confirmation emails you will get after uploading if you handed in everything we asked for. If you are missing documents and do not provide an explanation, we will have to disqualify you without warning, unfortunately, due to the high number of applicants.
Besides technical knowledge of their degree, the participants of our program are expected to:
- Have established a good work organization through their practical experiences, preferably in the field of renewable energies, sustainable development or energy technique,
- Be able to familiarize themselves with a new topic autonomously (on a basic study level),
- Structure newly given material and judge the importance of details,
- Compare and judge facts out of different sources as well as compile information,
- Estimate their skills and knowledge of an object and further their understanding through concrete questions,
- Be dedicated to work with uncommon subjects,
- Communicate clearly and fluently in English,
- Work on interdisciplinary topics in a multicultural context
- Willingness to share knowledge and work as a team
- Be prepared to transcend common approaches of their previous subject.
We expect factual competences on a basic college level especially in the following subjects
- Complex numbers
- Vectors/ Vector calculating
- Basic statistic knowledge
- Integral and differential calculus
- Differential equation/Differential operators
- Fluently work with prefactors and (physical) units
- Correctly build graphs out of value tables
- First and second law of thermodynamics
- Thermodynamic balance
- Work and heat
- Thermodynamic machines
- Mechanisms of heat transfer
Mechanics of fluids and gas
- Movement conditions (laminar, turbulent)
- Buoyancy and friction
- Pressure, kinetic energy
- Viscosity, flowline
- Flow at boundary layers
Solid State Physics
- Atom models
- Crystal structures and lattice characteristics
- Physical characteristics of all-solids (electrical and heat conductivity, shear forces)
- Basic ideas of a semiconductor
- Ohm’s law
- Kirchhoff’s laws
- Electrical and magnetical fields
- Inductance and mutual inductance
- Complex resistance
- Radiation laws (Planck, Wien, Stefan-Boltzmann)
- Black body
- Types of chemical bonds
- Chemical reactions, Stoichiometry
- Law of mass action
- Displacement series of metals
- Principals of photosynthesis
- Basic structure of important organic substances: sugar, proteins, fat
- Basic principals of the aerobic and anaerobic decomposition of organic material
- Basic knowledge of stoichiometry
- SI units
- Measurement processes and methods
- Confidence level of measuring, measurement faults
- Linear regression, error propagation
Costs/services included in course fee are:
The inscription fee of currently 376.80 EUR per term (301,80 € for DAAD-scholars, who do not need to pay administrative fee) is subject to slight increase each semester.
Costs/services included in inscription fee are:
In addition, participants must pay for all their personal expenses. The cost of living amounts to 720 Euros per month (needs to be proven for stay permit).
During the summer semester (second semester), there is a mandatory excursion of up to 10 days (off-grid mountain hut, Intersolar/Munich, several RE companies and research institutes, respectively). Students are asked to allow an extra sum of max. 500 EUR for this event.
We do not offer scholarships, but there is a large number of possible scholarship donors you can contact.
In the past, PPRE students have managed to receive scholarships from the following organisations, although chances of being accepted as scholar is varying drastically from organisation to another:
ALEARG scholarship from Argentinian Ministry of Education , coordinated by DAAD.
Becas Conicyt, coordinated by DAAD
Iraqi-German scholarship program for master and PhD students. This
"Leadership for Syria" Programme: Master’s and PhD Degree Scholarships for Syrians (DAAD)
The special scholarship programme “Leadership for Syria” (LfS) aims to support the academic qualification and advancement of young Syrian scientists in Germany. In times of civil war and displacement in their home country, this programme intends to give a sustainable contribution to build a future elite of leaders who will play a central role in rebuilding the country.
High Education COmmission
|Phone: +92-51-9040000 |
Fulbright-KommissionOranienburger Straße 13/14
|Phone: +49 30-284443-0 |
Fax: +49 30 284443–42
DAAD New York871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
|Phone: +01 212 758 3223 |
Fax: +01 212755 5780
- GOETHE Institut
Cultural affairs,language courses
- Deutsche Welle
International Radio and TV programmes
- HRK Hochschulkompass
Media and information about Germany
- Virtual Library Catalogue
50 Mio. books....
Free Online German Course
Other Links for Possible Scholarships
Rosa Luxemburg Foundation
For other links please check the DAAD's scholarship database at
e-fellows.net Das Online-Stipendium & Karrierenetzwerk