Die Universität Oldenburg engagiert sich für Gleichstellung, Diversität, Inklusion und die Vereinbarkeit von Familie und Beruf. Sie ist Unterzeichnerin der Charta der Vielfalt und seit 2004 als familiengerechte Hochschule zertifiziert. Wir begrüßen Bewerbungen von Menschen aller Nationalitäten, ethnischer und sozialer Herkünfte, Religionen, geschlechtlicher Identitäten, sexueller Orientierungen und Altersstufen.
Stellenausschreibung / Job advertisement
Doctoral Candidate (m/f/d)
English Linguistics, Language Acquisition, and Language Processing
We are currently looking for a doctoral candidate (Salary: 50 % according to German E 13 TV-L) in the area of English Linguistics, Language Acquisition, and Language Processing (Prof. Dr. Marcel Schlechtweg) in the Department of English and American Studies at the Universität Oldenburg, Germany. The position is available for 3 years and is supposed to be filled as soon as possible.
- Future research projects in English Linguistics, which combine (a) Phonetics, Phonology, and/or Morphology (at least one of the three) with (b) Language Acquisition and/or Language Processing (at least one of the two)
- International visibility of the aforementioned projects (e.g., publications, conference participations, conference organizations)
- Teaching of one course per semester (two hours per week) in the area of English Linguistics, Language Acquisition, and Language Processing
- Supervision and reviewing of final theses in the area of English Linguistics, Language Acquisition, and Language Processing
- Support of the chair in different respects (e.g., assistance in experimental work; general organization)
- Academic university degree in the field of Psycholinguistics, Linguistics, English Studies with a focus on Linguistics, or a related discipline
- Ability to perform excellent scientific work; demonstrated, for instance, by the outstanding quality of the Master’s thesis
- Expertise in (a) Phonetics, Phonology, and/or Morphology (at least one of the three) and (b) Language Acquisition and/or Language Processing (at least one of the two)
- Native / native-like / near-native competence in English
- Native / native-like / near-native competence in German
- Experience in experimental work in Linguistics, Language Acquisition, and/or Language Processing (e.g., reaction-time (Eprime), production (Praat), eye-tracking, ERP studies)
- Experience in statistical analysis (e.g., statistical program R, mixed-effects models)
- Expertise in further core areas of Linguistics (e.g., Syntax, Semantics, Pragmatics)
Your application contains:
- Cover letter describing your past achievements, your future research plans, and the connection of the two to the position you are applying for
- Curriculum vitae
- Copy/copies of your university degree(s) and/or summary of your grades if a degree has not been issued yet
- If available: Copies of further certificates that (might) support your application (e.g., proof of scholarship, assistant position)
- Copy of one of your theses (e.g., Bachelor, Master)
The Universität Oldenburg is an equal opportunities employer. According to § 21 para. 3 of the legislation governing Higher Education in Lower Saxony (NHG), preference shall be given to female candidates in cases of equal qualification. The same applies to persons with disabilities.
Please send your application as two pdf files to by December 31, 2022 at the latest. In the subject line of your email, please enter "Doctoral candidate Prof. Schlechtweg". The second pdf file contains the thesis and the first pdf file contains all other documents mentioned above. All queries regarding the position can be sent to the same email address. Although applications by email are preferred, they may, alternatively, be sent by post to the following address:
der Universität Oldenburg
Fakultät III Sprach- und Kulturwissenschaften
Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik
z.H. Prof. Dr. Marcel Schlechtweg
Documents can only be returned if a prepaid envelope with your address is enclosed. Please do not submit any original degrees/certificates.